Pre-filter...umm, inline filter for removing large quantities of dirt

AZBrahma

Jul 19, 2023
Phoenix AZ
Hope I can get some suggestions here.

I have a plaster in-ground pool with a floor cleaning system. Being as I live in the Phoenix area, occasionally we receive dust storms which occasionally rise to the level of a haboob. Our house (and pool) back to a wash on the edge of the metro area, and we are usually the first to get hit with these storms. Long story short - they can deposit a huge amount of dust/dirt/sand into the pool. The in-floor system is more or less incapable of dealing with this much dirt - it takes 3 or 4 days to start becoming even remotely clean, due the the high power floor jets just sending the dirt all over the place instead of sucking it into the filter. This leads to a load of manual brushing toward the drain with minimal success. Afterward, an immediate cleaning of the 4 huge canister filters in the 40k gallon housing needs to be done. Needless to say, this stinks.

Dirt uptake is the easy part - I can use a manual or robotic vacuum attached to the filter basket intake. What I want to include if I'm able, is a pre-filter filter if you will. It would reside inline between the vacuum and filter basket intake. That way I can dump the dirt into that filter before it continues on into the primary filter, and I can occasionally stop and relieve the single filter of its contents. But I'm not certain of the best type to use. I'm not sure it I should use a sand filter, a canister filter, or another type. I'm looking for something that will filter most of a large quantity of mostly fine dust - 'moon dust' if you will. I'm hoping it is fairly portable, easy to clean, and hopefully inexpensive. Being able to use a standard pool hose is a plus.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Welcome to the forum.
Some in your area use a pre-filter. I find hairnets in the skimmer are sufficient, but others have had great luck with a pre-filter. The device is installed on top of the pump outlet.
Here is a link to a company that we have found provides good customer service.

Reactions: AZBrahma
If you are manually vacuuming or using a suction side cleaner, you can connect a 1.5” inline leaf canister to your vacuum hoses and add a skimmer sock inside to catch all of the sand and dirt before it goes into the filter or even the piping.
IMG_8443.png
I have this canister permanently connected to the hoses for my Polaris vacuum, one hose before it enters my vacuum port.

Between this and the sock inside my skimmer, all the dirt gets collected in the socks of this leaf canister and the skimmer basket and so my filter stays clean for much much much longer since it only filters the tiniest of debris that pass through the socks.

Reactions: AZBrahma and Hootz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.