Power out, spa empty

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
Wasn’t sure where to post this.....

We just had our power go out. Went off and on 4-5 Times, now completely out. My spa was running at the time but has emptied into the pool. I imagine it emptied because it’s in spa mode, but not really sure why. Can someone explain this to me and what I should do to keep the water in the spa so my plaster doesn’t dry out. It’s 6:40 in the evening, it’s about 60 degrees outside and the sun is setting.

Thanks in advance!

N,

Yes, without the pump running, the water in the raised spa will flow backwards through the pump and plumbing and back into the pool.

I would not think a day or so, in this weather, will cause any issues with your plaster, but if you are worried you could always just use a garden hose and spray it down a few times today and tomorrow if the power does not come back on.

When the power does come on you will need to watch your system, as I don't know if it will come back up in the Spa mode or not. You will want to make sure your automated valves are in the correct position for whatever mode the system is in.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Isn’t the spa a closed system when in spa mode? It should pull from the spa and return to the spa. Mine also has a check valve so that the raised spa doesn’t drain back into the pool unless the valves are changed to pull from the spa and return to the pool. The pool company did it once to vacuum out a bunch of leaves.

N,

Yes, without the pump running, the water in the raised spa will flow backwards through the pump and plumbing and back into the pool.

I would not think a day or so, in this weather, will cause any issues with your plaster, but if you are worried you could always just use a garden hose and spray it down a few times today and tomorrow if the power does not come back on.

When the power does come on you will need to watch your system, as I don't know if it will come back up in the Spa mode or not. You will want to make sure your automated valves are in the correct position for whatever mode the system is in.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

I’m a little confused...When in spa mode, I don’t lose water to the pool and when it finishes its programmed cycle, there is also no water lost. This is the first time it’s ever happened and I know it had to do with it being in spa mode. If when the spa is running its cycling through the spa drain back through the return jets, how is it emptying back through the drain to the pool? Is a valve automatically opening? The flow between the pool running or the spa running is controlled by an actuator.

Thanks for the reply, Jim.

I’m a little confused...When in spa mode, I don’t lose water to the pool and when it finishes its programmed cycle, there is also no water lost. This is the first time it’s ever happened and I know it had to do with it being in spa mode. If when the spa is running its cycling through the spa drain back through the return jets, how is it emptying back through the drain to the pool? Is a valve automatically opening? The flow between the pool running or the spa running is controlled by an actuator.

N,

To be honest, I did not sit down and draw out the water flow, so I could be wrong, but just the circumstances tell me that the reason the spa drained is due to the power being off.

Maybe one of the plumbing experts can explain it or ... maybe I'm just full of ... stuff??? :p

My warning was based on if the plumbing is in the Spa mode, but the automation system comes up in the Pool mode, the valves could be out of sync and I would be afraid that you'd be sucking air from your empty spa instead of water..

I'll think about it more, but since my power is not out... it is spa time for me..... :cool:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Did the power bumps make any of the valves move? You might check the valves to be sure they are in pure SPA mode.

Take care. Stay safe -

n,

Did you get your power back?

After thinking about this, I believe that Marty is on the right track.. Most likely one of the automated valves is out of sync and in the wrong position.

Jim R.

Power came back on after about 40 minutes. By then, my scheduled run times for the pump were over for the day. I turned the pool pump back on but did not see the valves before I did this, so I can’t answer if they were in a strange position. With the pump on pool mode, my spa filled up after 30-45 minutes (we have a negative edge on the spa that runs into the pool) and everything has been fine since.
I have turned off my spa schedule and will instead periodically run the spa to keep the drain flushed with fresh chlorinated water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.