Post partial drain chemical help

Yeah - it will take forever with a garden hose.
See if it will accept a larger hose diameter. That will provide better output and make the drain go quicker. The faster you can drain and refill the better.
Your other option is to rent a pump from Home Depot. I believe they are $50/day and comes with a large 50' long hose.
Are you in the City of Phoenix or the 'burbs? Check with your city to see where you can drain to. Here in Chandler, we drain to the sanitary sewer cleanout in our frint yards.

After you are done, run the pool pump for about 30 minutes, test everything again (no need to do CYA if a complete drain/refill) and post your results here. We will get you headed in the correct direction.

Also, fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
Be detailed on the equipment. See mine and others for inspiration.
This assists us in providing you help without needing to ask for this important info each time.
I got the signature updated! Sorry that took so long. I knew virtually nothing :) let me know if I missed anything important!

Pump speed and filtration rate have nothing to do with algae.
Algae is a chemical problem - lack of sufficient free chlorine.

You should be able to run your pool pump at a lower rpm for most of the day.
Once we kniw what equipmemt you hafe, including your pool cleaner, we can better help you set up your runtime rpms and possibly save on electricity costs as well.

IFCS = In Floor Cleaning System - it's popup heads on the floor that direct water to help clean the pool.
My pool is 25 years old and it was all the rage back then. There are better, more efficient ways to automatically clean pools nowadays.
thanks! Finally got the signature updated. Can’t promise it has everything needed but hopefully that helps. We do not have an IFCS. MY husband says we, “Have to run the pump so high so that we could keep the vacuum crawling around.” He likes it to crawl up the walls too. As a side note, when I was adding chemicals today, I found the return jets all over the pool. I noticed that the ones in the deep end are really bellowing out water and the ones in the shallow end are barely putting water out at all. Any idea what that’s all about?

Since I was testing the water incorrectly, the last several days (I did not realize I needed to take it from the middle of the pool, 14 inches deep, and after the pump had been running for 15 to 30 minutes). Now that I know that, I ran all of my tests:
CYA 70, pH 8.2, Cl 7.5, CC 0.5, CH 650, TA 130
(So not that far off from the original results)
I added liquid chlorine and muriatic acid using Pool Math tool.

Hose water:
PH 7.8, TA 120, and CH 350
I was not expecting such high TA or CH. So it draining my pool and replacing it with hose water serve any purpose? I was planning to do the drain tomorrow night and the fill on Saturday when I am home all day. Obviously it would lower my CH a bit and my CYA, but really won’t change my TA. And as other users have suggested in Phoenix CYA on higher end of normal may be fine. Any recommendations welcomed!

Good job on the signature!
Does the pool have automation? Post a picture of the equipment pad so we can see whqt else you may have.

Without pics of the equipment pad from a few different angles, it would be difficult to guess why the deep end jets are stronger than the shallow end.

Pool cleaner only needs to run at full speed maybe 4 hours per day - not 16 hours. You can run at a lower rpm for 12 out of those 16 hours. Maybe try higher speed for cleaner in two 2 hour chunks.
For my IFCS, I have two 2 hour schedules at 2900 rpm - 6am-8am and 4pm-6pm. The rest of the runtime is at 1200 rpm. Saves a bunch on electricity as well.

Last edited:
Enter all your results into PoolMath and click the save check mark.
You are already sharing your PoolMath logs to the forum, but there aren't any test results showing there.

Chances are you will evaporate your entire pool volume or maybe more over the course of a year. That would increase you pool CH by at least 350 based on your reported tap water CH. Many of us here in the desert southwest have water softeners andnhave them plumbed to our autofill.

TA is something you will have to work on a bit due to evaporation and using high TA tap water to make up the evporated water. Adding muriatic acid will lower the pH and also lower TA a bit. Once the pH rises naturally or thru aeration to 7.8-8.0, you dose muriatic acid again to lower the pH to 7.2-7.4. This cycle will be repeated time and again -eventually the TA will get down to the 60-70 range. The lower TA of 60-70 will help slow the pH rise.

Good job on the signature!
Does the pool have automation? Post a picture of the equipment pad so we can see whqt else you may have.

Without pics of the equipment pad from a few different angles, it would be difficult to guess why the deep end jets are stronger than the shallow end.

Pool cleaner only needs to run at full speed maybe 4 hours per day - not 16 hours. You can run at a lower rpm for 12 out of those 16 hours. Maybe try higher speed for cleaner in two 2 hour chunks.
For my IFCS, I have two 2 hour schedules at 2900 rpm - 6am-8am and 4pm-6pm. The rest of the runtime is at 1200 rpm. Saves a bunch on electricity as well.
Thanks! Hmmm what is Pool automation? I know that the pump we can set a timer on the box to control the runtimes. We do not control anything through an app.

I’m going to pass off the pump information to my husband. I believe peak energy hours in the valley are typically 4 to 7 PM where I live so I would probably avoid that window for the higher RPM.

As for the equipment pad, is that just the area that all of the pool equipment is in? If so, I can take pictures when I get home this evening!

Enter all your results into PoolMath and click the save check mark.
You are already sharing your PoolMath logs to the forum, but there aren't any test results showing there.

Chances are you will evaporate your entire pool volume or maybe more over the course of a year. That would increase you pool CH by at least 350 based on your reported tap water CH. Many of us here in the desert southwest have water softeners andnhave them plumbed to our autofill.

TA is something you will have to work on a bit due to evaporation and using high TA tap water to make up the evporated water. Adding muriatic acid will lower the pH and also lower TA a bit. Once the pH rises naturally or thru aeration to 7.8-8.0, you dose muriatic acid again to lower the pH to 7.2-7.4. This cycle will be repeated time and again -eventually the TA will get down to the 60-70 range. The lower TA of 60-70 will help slow the pH rise.
My gosh, you are so knowledgeable! Thank you very much! I can get the results uploaded tonight after the kids go down.

Maybe we can put a water softener on our to purchase list for this year :)

Thanks! Hmmm what is Pool automation? I know that the pump we can set a timer on the box to control the runtimes. We do not control anything through an app.

I’m going to pass off the pump information to my husband. I believe peak energy hours in the valley are typically 4 to 7 PM where I live so I would probably avoid that window for the higher RPM.

As for the equipment pad, is that just the area that all of the pool equipment is in? If so, I can take pictures when I get home this evening!
Your wisperflo pump should have a control head that allows setting numerous schedules and speeds.
Is that the timer you speak of or is there a separate timer (maybe mounted to the wall)?
Once we see pics of your equipment pad, we will have a better idea.

Yeah - have your husband pop on here and we can discuss a more energy efficient schedule that will still sufficiently clean the pool.

Yes - all the pool equipment, including pipes, valves, pump, filter, etc. All in one frame - take from a few different angles so we get a better look at the equipment setup and valve positions.

Here are the pictures I took of the pool equipment area. As a reminder, our spa is attached to our pool. The heater for the spa was broken when we bought the house 2 years ago and has not been replaced so it’s the same temp etc as the pool water. I also included a picture of the pool itself so you can see the setup.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2444.jpeg
    IMG_2444.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2443.jpeg
    IMG_2443.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2445.jpeg
    IMG_2445.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2447.jpeg
    IMG_2447.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2448.jpeg
    IMG_2448.jpeg
    662.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2450.jpeg
    IMG_2450.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2451.jpeg
    IMG_2451.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 1
Pool pic. The deep end is closest to the wall. This is where the return jets are strong. There is one little fountain water sprayer thing on that side. The side closest to where the pic is taken is the shallow and and has 3 returns that are all flowing, but bareeeellllyyyy

Attachments

• IMG_2441.jpeg
    IMG_2441.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support