Possible problem, certainly not good - a crack

stimpsonjcat

Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2016
Dawsonville, GA
As noted in a different thread, we are almost done with our pool project.

The last bit in the pool is installing the Fast-Lane swim pump in the pool.

I was in the pool Monday night, after heating it up from 61 to 85 degrees, and as I was preparing to drill a hole for mounting the Fas-Lane, I heard and felt a pop.

My daughter pointed out a crack in the coping where there was a separation between a stone and the mortar. I didn't see anything major and we continued work.

Well last night I was back in there again and I do see where there is a crack in the wall that runs through several tiles and runs from the same spot the daughter noticed on top all the way down to the water line.

The pool has had water in it since January at the same level, so I am wondering if it was the heat that caused the stress that caused the crack. The pool is a bit odd in that we had it poured at about a foot thick all the way around, but 30" of wall exists above the water line. This was intended to keep splashing contained. So I am thinking the lower wall expanded with the heating (there is a return line below where the crack appeared) and the upper wall section did not expand at the same rate as the lower wall.

I have not detected any leakage, the pool level remains unchanged. I have peered into the space between the pool and house and don't see any weeping, but it is hard to see in there and there is still form against the outside of the pool wall.

How worried should I be about this?
What, if anything, should be done about it?

Thanks!

We've gotten a few cracks in our plaster and tile grout over the years. PB uses pool putty to patch the cracks, mixing white and black to sort of color match. One of the cracks from 2012 or 2013 leaked and hasn't leaked since it was repaired. It cures underwater.

poolcrack1.jpg

That is one straight line/crack! I almost wonder if there was a score mark on that tile that allowed it to crack there or something under there that caused it???????? Just throwing out ideas there.

Can your feel it with your fingernail? It would be hard to patch without it standing out.

Still no water lose?

Kim:kim:

Yes, very straight! It also spans multiple tiles and is about 25" in total length. I cannot even get a business card in the crack.

Yes, still no water loss.

Here's the fast-lane water-pump unit installed finally!

fastlanein1.jpg

The crack is under the pink towel and goes down towards a return that is just behind the left portion of the FL to the left of the left support.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.