Possible pool leak, multiport crackling, and air in skimmer when pump stopped

Nov 5, 2009
Orlando, FL
After doing the bucket test, it seems there is definitely some kind of leak in my pool, but the very odd thing is that it appears to be random when this happens. I can go a full week or two without losing much of any water, and then a week or two where it loses water much more than the bucket. I've tried doing the test with food coloring and it seems the leak it just small enough and just slow enough to where it has to be "trickling" out somewhere, as the water only seems to leak about 2x what normal evaporation would be.

That one thing that stands out to me, is that it appears the pool loses a lot more water (the "leak") when the pump itself loses pressure (as in just static to where the basket in pump retains the water) after the pump turns off. When the pump stops and i see air bubbles coming from filter/multiport value (pump out), seems to be when this is happening. If i check the pump after a few days and it is still "primed" is when it seems to not be leaking at all.

Another thing i've noticed is that the multiport value seems to have this "crackling" sound from it pretty consistently. When I turn off the value going to main jets (and it's just the spa jets) it seems to go away. My first thought is this is due to more back pressure, but wanted to make sure and mentioned it (see video for example).

I plan on pulling apart the multivalve/pump lid/de filter, checking the gaskets and lubing them up (or replacing them), but wanted to see if you guys have any other thoughts or suggestions? Of course when I tried to get a video of the pump losing pressure when it turns off ... it doesn't do it :-\ but it's definitely happening randomly for sure. I tested this bypassing the filter (using recirculate) and had same issues.

Quick backstory, my entire pool setup is very weird, built in the 80s there's only 1 drain line that the skimmer and bottom drain seem to connect to, and there's another line running from where it appears there used to be an outside hose connection to one of the jets in the pool. There's a valve right where the house line would connect, if I open it water definitely comes out when the pump is on, telling me it's connected to this one jet my guess is so they could add water to the pool when needed (without laying a hose out).

The "spa" jets do have a value near the pump to turn them on or off, the line coming from the pump to the pool appears to have a T connection to pipes that run out of the ground which allow air to be sucked in (to give the "bubbles" from the spa jets).

Just wanted to give you guys as much detail as possible :). thanks for any help or suggestions! If you have any questions just let me know!

Here's a link for the video:

I also attached an old (tried to update) diagram of my pool setup that i posted on here a while back (updating what i could)

Attachments

• PXL_20210727_165429928.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210727_165429928.MP.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Lake Orlando Pool Diagram.jpg
    Lake Orlando Pool Diagram.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.