New Orleans
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
My Pentair pump froze up. Haven’t had time to see if I can repair it, but if I need to replace it I heard several recommend a variable speed pump. Is that an easy direct replacement? Would I likely have to re-plumb anything? What is involved in such a switch and would it require extra $$$ modifications in the switch to a variable speed?

should be a drop in replacement for your Whisperflo pump.

Correction. Sorry I was not near the equipment when I posted. It is the pump motor that is seizing up. When I turn it on, I hear an electrical hum, then it seems an internal circuit breaker trips, then re-sets after a few minutes of it being turned off. Somehow, the last two days it started in the morning with the timer, but today it did not. It was quite hot, so I turned it off at the timer. I am thinking I can partially disassemble and lube it? Here is my model in the photos, and here’s one of my dogs hiding behind the towel rack in my bathroom if you are interested 😆IMG_9571.jpegIMG_9570.jpegIMG_9572.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Newdude
The IntelliFlo will work.

It looks like you have a seal leak.

The capacitor might be bad.

Check the voltage.

Is the supply voltage 115 or 230 volts?

Check to see if the shaft turns freely.

If you have a seal leak, then the bearings might be frozen/seized.

The IntelliFlo will work.

It looks like you have a seal leak.

The capacitor might be bad.

Interesting. I replaced that capacitor a year and a half ago. Have to check for the the leak and see if the bearings have siezed. I think I also bought a repair kit that included replacing o-rings and whatnot. This is my second pump motor in 6 years.

Reactions: JamesW
Correction. Sorry I was not near the equipment when I posted. It is the pump motor that is seizing up. When I turn it on, I hear an electrical hum, then it seems an internal circuit breaker trips, then re-sets after a few minutes of it being turned off. Somehow, the last two days it started in the morning with the timer, but today it did not. It was quite hot, so I turned it off at the timer. I am thinking I can partially disassemble and lube it? Here is my model in the photos, and here’s one of my dogs hiding behind the towel rack in my bathroom if you are interested 😆View attachment 534046View attachment 534047View attachment 534048
No, there is nothing to lube that will free up that motor. The shat seal has been leaking for quite a while and ruined the motor bearings. If you don't have automation, a Nidec Neptune MPTQ225 motor, new PS-1000 shaft seal and new body gasket will turn your pump into a VSP for much less than a new pump. When replacing the seal, be sure that there is no damage to the sealplate and that the seal is installed correctly.
Two motors in six years is very un-common.

Last night when I turned the equipment on and off via the timer, there was electrical arcing, momentary, just a spark, when it was turned on. And the motor did not start up, but hummed. Today, the equipment turned on and it is circulating like normal, so I took the stop pin off the timer to run it continuously for now, and turned my SWG up to 100% to increase the chlorination. I am thinking maybe it's a wiring issue with the timer, or the capacitor is going bad again. I re-used the existing gasket under the capacitor cover when I replaced the capacitor about a year and a half ago, and maybe it was allowing moisture in there? Regarding the wiring, I got my SWG back from warranty repair so I will check the wires since I re-connected it and this issue is new.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe a wiring issue and/or a capacitor issue.

Maybe burned contacts at the motor or the timer.

Sometimes these things happen at the same time and one issue can cause or exacerbate the other issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.