Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I have a couple of concerns about my equipment. At the pump at full speed, the pressure reads 19.5 psi on the sand filter. I don't know if that is high or not for clean conditions. When I run on recirculate, the pressure is 16 psi so the pressure drop across the sand is only 3.5 psi. I deep cleaned the sand. It didn't feel gunked up. As for the VSP, the SWG shuts off at 1670 rpm which seems high to me. I could run down to 1100 on my last pool. By running at least 1800 rpm under regular operating conditions, I don't feel I'm getting the full benefit of lower electricity usage.

Putting a FlowVis valve on the system, I measured around 46 gpm at full speed on the pump and around 10 gpm at 1720 when the SWG shut off. The FlowVis changed the minimum rpm speed for the SWG to run by 50 rpm higher. I don't know the accuracy of a FlowVis. The manual for the SWG says the flow rate should be 25 gpm or higher.

I was thinking of upgrading the pump to 3 HP. If I get the Pentair IntelliFlo, I would get 8 programmable settings. I assume the larger pump will allow me to run the pump at a lower rpm setting for the same flow rate as the current pump which will lower operating costs. Maybe it would even prime faster. Right now the current pump needs about 4:45 out of the 5 minute priming cycle to be pumping full flow.

I'm still debating if I should switch from a sand filter to cartridge filter for finer filtering. I'll probably hold onto the SWG cell and upgrade to a larger cell when it poops out. Overall, my system is pretty simple as shown below.

IMG_3007.jpgIMG_3008.jpgIMG_3009.jpgIMG_3011.jpg

As for the VSP, the SWG shuts off at 1670 rpm which seems high to me. I could run down to 1100 on my last pool.
What was the old pumps HP ? The 3HP you're considering will move more water, triggering the SWG with less RPM.
At the pump at full speed, the pressure reads 19.5 psi
Its entirely reasonable. Mine is 18.5 when clean.
By running at least 1800 rpm under regular operating conditions, I don't feel I'm getting the full benefit of lower electricity usage
You're getting the lions share of the savings over an equal sized SS pump. Many don't feel its worth it to spend alot more on the 3HP pump to only save 100W(?) more. The 1800W(?) savings was the biggie. Lol.
I'm still debating if I should switch from a sand filter to cartridge filter for finer filtering
So here's my take on that one. Your filter filters your yard debris, and that crud traps finer crud. When you change filter types, the yard crud is a constant, and ultimately the decider of how fine you can filter. The only question IMO is how soon it starts to be slightly dirty to become it's most efficient.

Never forget a sand filter won our first water clarity contest, no small feat in this group. I always give it it's due respect eventhough I'm a hardcore cart guy. It's a personal preference not a need.

I have a couple of concerns about my equipment. At the pump at full speed, the pressure reads 19.5 psi on the sand filter. I don't know if that is high or not for clean conditions. When I run on recirculate, the pressure is 16 psi so the pressure drop across the sand is only 3.5 psi. I deep cleaned the sand. It didn't feel gunked up. As for the VSP, the SWG shuts off at 1670 rpm which seems high to me. I could run down to 1100 on my last pool. By running at least 1800 rpm under regular operating conditions, I don't feel I'm getting the full benefit of lower electricity usage.

Putting a FlowVis valve on the system, I measured around 46 gpm at full speed on the pump and around 10 gpm at 1720 when the SWG shut off. The FlowVis changed the minimum rpm speed for the SWG to run by 50 rpm higher. I don't know the accuracy of a FlowVis. The manual for the SWG says the flow rate should be 25 gpm or higher.

I was thinking of upgrading the pump to 3 HP. If I get the Pentair IntelliFlo, I would get 8 programmable settings. I assume the larger pump will allow me to run the pump at a lower rpm setting for the same flow rate as the current pump which will lower operating costs. Maybe it would even prime faster. Right now the current pump needs about 4:45 out of the 5 minute priming cycle to be pumping full flow.

I'm still debating if I should switch from a sand filter to cartridge filter for finer filtering. I'll probably hold onto the SWG cell and upgrade to a larger cell when it poops out. Overall, my system is pretty simple as shown below.

View attachment 534088View attachment 534089View attachment 534090View attachment 534091
One big difference is that the SuperFlo VS is a medium head pump and the IntelliFlo is a high-head pump. Not sure what pump you had on your last pool, but it was very likely a high-head pump and moved more water at the lower speed.

Last pool had a Hayward 1.65hp Super Pump.
Still medium-head, but moved more water than the SuperFlo. And slightly more horsepower. Super Pumps were/are great pumps, that's why there are so many in use today.
Keep the sand filter as long as you can. If it is over 5 years old, adding 50# sand is likely needed and you are good to go for another 5 years. Larger horsepower VSP running low speeds with a sand filter was always the first recommendation of the pump manufacturers at every school/seminar/trade show I ever attended.

Last edited:
You're getting the lions share of the savings over an equal sized SS pump. Many don't feel its worth it to spend alot more on the 3HP pump to only save 100W(?) more. The 1800W(?) savings was the biggie. Lol.
I would not be changing the pump for the energy savings. That's just a bonus. The main reason is the current pump is not giving me the flexibility to run the pump as I would like. You can only set three speeds and run times. I want to be able to set more speeds and run times during the day. I have two choices. Install automation or install a new pump with more settings. On my last pool, I had 8 settings I could program.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.