Portable generators not for a pool.

That simple interlock requires you to turn off the main in order to turn on the breaker to backfeed through a dedicated generator outlet. It makes it impossible to have both the main and gen breaker on at the same time. Again check local codes.

At least down here a power outage is not a life or death situation.

All an interlock does is "idiot proof" the process. Must be a reason they sell a lot of them!:crazy:

It's the law is one reason. Aside from preventing the death of a lineman, restoration of the grid with mains on while a genny is connected could do very bad things to genny, panel and house wiring, not to mention connected equipment. While I would backfeed if I absolutely had to, for the reasonable cost of an interlock I am happy having it "idiot proof." I also wired in watt-meters to allow load balancing and limiting to within the capacity of the genny.

The real big danger with backfeeding is even if you know how to do it safely chances are good that not everyone in your home does. There are lots of horror stories on the net about it, not only it killing linemen (those pole top transformers work both ways, stepping down high voltage, or stepping up low voltage if you backfeed), but also family members that try to turn the breakers back on while "dad" is away for a few minutes when power comes back on.

To generator advice there has been a lot of good stuff mentioned, but I will say a bit more, first of all there is a lot of JUNK on the market, much of it with what is otherwise reputable brand name labels. Often these companies don't make generators, they just put their names on them, not only is every bit of quality often sacrificed in the name of price, but their is often no parts available to repair them.

Now down to specific suggestions, if your going to buy a small gasoline powered generator, but either a Honda or a Yamaha, they cost more but are worth it. Note not all Honda's are Honda's, you have the REAL honda brand generators, then you also have "powered by Honda" which just means it is a Honda engine connected to someone elses generator end.

If getting a home stationary generator avoid Generac, they may be the number one seller, but a lot of that is based on 2 things, low price, lots of money spent on marketing to tell everyone how good they are. Instead buy Cummins Onan or Kohler, again up front it may cost you more, but you will not find likely be finding yourself on a first name basis with the generator repairman at $300+ per visit.

On the topic of interlock kits, they can be a cheap alternative to a transfer switch, just check with your local authority to see if they are allowed where you live. For better prices check this brand out http://natramelec.com/

I just want to re-state I am not back feeding my panel, for many of the reasons mentioned. I have 3 kids 2 dogs and a wife. I would like them to be here in the morning. The plan which is already in place is to be prepared and have everything ready. That way nothing bad will happen. I am freezing buckets of water now for the fridge and freezer. We are filling up a tub for toilet water. And I have the Generator ready topped with oil and with fresh gas, I even sucked the old gas out just to get any debris. I have enough gas for around 24 hours of genny power. I have all the extension cords out so I just fire up the genny plug it in and walk away.

On a side note which is sad for society. I went looking at generators again today. Before the storm they averaged about $100 per 1000w. But today they are about $150 more then that. And they are no name brands. The guy I talked to said he wasn't even sure who made the motor and giggled. Also gas prices locally are $3.55 per gallon. A handful of people are still with out power. Out of our area I found gas at $3.23.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice. You guys have given me the opportunity to enjoy my pool. I think since I started using your methods I have had almost no problems and logged more time swimming and less fixing problems. And now having been able to get this info as well.

Because I live in South Texas and occasionally have power losses because of hurricanes I have a 35KVA Generac generator. I runs on natural gas and powers the whole house including the AC units. There is a power transfer switch that senses no power to the house and automatically turns the generator on and then when local power is detected the transfer switch shuts the generator off. Its plenty big enough to run all the pool equipment when I am done

Reactions: Sunnymosmile
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.