PoolRx question

mmaigret

Aug 22, 2023
California
Hi, new here. I had a new pool service person add PoolRx to my pool a few months ago. Almost immediately thereafter I noticed several rust-colors spots on the bottom of the deep end of the pool, which I have been unable to remove with a brush---haven't tried the vitamin C method yet, but planning on doing so. In addition, I have noticed a yellow/green film on the sides of the pool, which can be scrubbed off, but results in the water becoming slightly cloudy, and seems to reappear a few days later.

My question is if I ask the pool service person to discontinue the PoolRx, as it seems nearly guaranteed to be the culprit given the timing proximity (had not had any staining in the 8 years of ownership prior to PoolRx), is there anything else that I need to do to remedy the stains? I'm thinking that simply discontinuing the PoolRx will not magically reverse the stains on the bottom and film on the sides, and likely more servicing is needed. Photos attached of the stains on the bottom and the film on the side.

Apologies in advance that this is likely a dumb question, and thank you so much for any guidance/help.

IMG_0289.jpgIMG_0288.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: PoolRX can add silver, copper, and zinc to the pool. Those metals, especially the copper, can be difficult to remove, however I would still try the Vitamin C test to see if any iron got into the water at some point. The slimy walls sound like a different issue however.

We would recommend posting a full set of water test results from a TF-Series test kit (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C kit. That's always step #1 when we are evaluating water chemistry issues. From there we'll do what we can to assist.

Also see ------> Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Bperry
Hi, new here. I had a new pool service person add PoolRx to my pool a few months ago. Almost immediately thereafter I noticed several rust-colors spots on the bottom of the deep end of the pool, which I have been unable to remove with a brush---haven't tried the vitamin C method yet, but planning on doing so. In addition, I have noticed a yellow/green film on the sides of the pool, which can be scrubbed off, but results in the water becoming slightly cloudy, and seems to reappear a few days later.

My question is if I ask the pool service person to discontinue the PoolRx, as it seems nearly guaranteed to be the culprit given the timing proximity (had not had any staining in the 8 years of ownership prior to PoolRx), is there anything else that I need to do to remedy the stains? I'm thinking that simply discontinuing the PoolRx will not magically reverse the stains on the bottom and film on the sides, and likely more servicing is needed. Photos attached of the stains on the bottom and the film on the side.

Apologies in advance that this is likely a dumb question, and thank you so much for any guidance/help.

View attachment 524222View attachment 524223
Echoing the advice above on your own test kit. PoolRX isn’t doing anything good.

This can help with stain ID and remediation...

Do you have any trees that drop organics (such as tannins) into your pool? If you look closely at the stains, they have comet trails which indicates that they sit on the surface and dissolve downhill towards the drain. You can diagnose organic stains by placing a chlorine tablet on one of the stains to see if it fades.

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the responses. Here's my action plan:

1. I am going to have the service person remove the PoolRx from the pump housing
2. I am going to try the vitamin C test
3. Re organic stains: There are tress by the pool and acorns have fallen into the water in the past and caused organic stains; however, these typically resolve within a week or so on their own. The service person tried scrubbing with Chlorine, but the stains did not lift. I suspect they are iron---it's possible some fertilizer got into the pool and caused the stains, but if so it would have been the first time in 8+ years so would be a strange coincidence. Will confirm he tried a chlorine tab, and do so if he had not
4. Will purchase the recommended test kits and administer

Will follow up once I have executed on the above.

Thanks!

The pool pool rx is already introduced to the pool water. It’s just a can filled with metal powder inside the blue mesh cone. It dissolves in a day or so. With that said, the side looks like algae on the side and the bottom organic or iron.

Hi All, interim update and question. I asked the pool service person to remove the PoolRx, which he will gladly do. He suggested using muriatic acid on the stains, despite my suggestion of ascorbic acid. What do folks here think? It's not really clear to me what's more appropriate in this case---ascorbic acid or muriatic acid?

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and information!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At this time, you are just trying to diagnose what the stains are. Vitamin C is ascorbic acid. Crush up some tablets, place them in a sock, and hold them on the stain for several minutes to see if it changes.

Quick update:

1. Removed the PoolRx from the pump housing
2. Tried to scrub one of the stains with the crushed up Vitamin C tablets in a sock, but where the tablets were in contact, the plaster started turning a darker color. Is that expected, or indicative of some other issue? I didn't see any difference in the stains that I was trying to test, but I only waited about 1-2 minutes so maybe I need to try again?
3. I ordered the TF test kit; waiting for it to arrive. I think some portion of it was backordered.
4. Has anyone had experience with the ascorbic acid causing blotching/staining?

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply JamesW.

I have not purchased a stain ID kit---I had tried the chlorine tab and vitamin C tablet approach, but I can look into a stain ID kit if folks here believe that would be helpful. I've read some folks end up with inconclusive results; not sure if that's unusual or the norm.

I'm not 100% certain if the pool is painted or not. I have not needed to replace/refinish the pool under my ownership. Is there a way to determine if it's painted or not?

Sincerely appreciate all the ideas and suggestions.

Thanks!

Oh, one other piece of information I noticed is that bag on the pool cleaner has stains similar to the bottom of the pool. Meaning, whatever caused the stains appeared to have been a solid/particle, which the cleaner picked up and the white plastic bag subsequently stained in a similar fashion. I'm wondering if I can try the ID methods on the cleaner bag, which will be easier then trying in the deep end 9' underwater ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.