Aquaphobic

May 6, 2024
Pleasant Hill, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Subscribed to PoolMath Premium so I can use my basic Chlorine/pH test kit + Leslie's computer to begin logging while waiting for new TF-100 kit. PoolMath indicates "Ideal pH 7.6-7.8". I have adjusted to 7.7, but now target level is "7.4" (outside the 'ideal' range) and it's suggesting "Your target is outside the ideal range" (?) and I should up the chlorine to presumably move the pH down out of the ideal range toward the target? Why would PoolMath set a target outside the "ideal range"? Call me newbie, but that's not making sense to me. I've included the other pic which might give a clue?
Thank you for any help with understanding how PoolMath 'thinks'.
[Inground plaster/concrete 12,500gal pool in California, no algae or problems]

Attachments

• IMG_2971.PNG
    IMG_2971.PNG
    92.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2972.PNG
    IMG_2972.PNG
    58.2 KB · Views: 9
Hey Aquaphobic and Welcome!!!

Go to the settings wheel in the upper right corner. Scroll down and click advanced settings. Then scroll down and disable ideal ranges.

Pool Math doesn't know your unique pool behaviors and is simply suggesting what most users find works best. Maybe it'll be right for you down the road once you learn how your pool responds. For now, turn it off so you don't feel the need to make it happy.

target level is "7.4" (outside the 'ideal' range)
Why would PoolMath set a target outside the "ideal range"?

You can type in any number in the "Target Level" window. PoolMath is a calculator.

I should up the chlorine to presumably move the pH down

Chlorine and pH management are two different things.

Also, don't use dry acid. Use muriatic acid instead.

While you're waiting for your TF-100:

Thank you Newdude. I checked 'on' both Hide 'ideal range' and 'Recommended range' alerts, checked checkmark at top to save, exited out of App, but both continue to show. Perhaps it will take time to take effect. In the meantime I will just ignore them. I've gone back and forth in the guidelines and tables and will establish my own ranges.
Thanks again. Step by step. Cheers for now.

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you pjt. When needed I use muriatic acid, and I do know they are two different management issues, but I also know that raising and lowering chlorine has an opposite effect on pH reading. Being old school, key challenge is understanding and using websites and Apps. I'll get there in due time. Thanks.

First and foremost…….WELCOME TO TFP!

A really quick favor to ask of you, do you mind if I attempt to mirror your account and look at things that led up to you writing this question? Some of the behavior seems odd and I’d like to recreate things if I may.

The app has undergone a major behind the scenes update this week and I’m kinda wondering if something’s occurring that we can clean up.
Lee

I also know that raising and lowering chlorine has an opposite effect on pH reading.
Lifted from the Ph Wiki :

What is the Effect of Adding Liquid Chlorine on pH?[edit]​

It is a myth that liquid chlorine will raise pH. The myth is based on a misunderstanding of chlorine chemistry.

Adding liquid chlorine to water can cause a temporary increase in pH which is usually offset by the chlorine reacting with organics and biological matter which are acidic (creates a proton) reactions. Thus, on balance, the net chlorine reactions are pH neutral.[7]

Most retail and commercial liquid chlorine products contain a small excess of lye from the manufacturing process but this amount of OH- is minimal and does not change the pH with normal levels of liquid chlorine use.

If one were to add significant amounts of liquid chlorine (for example, raising the pool water chlorine concentration to SLAM FC levels), then the pH rise would need to be offset by an initial lower of the pH with acid. This is why TFP requires a pool owner to adjust their pH down to 7.2 prior to starting the SLAM Process.

Adding liquid chlorine DOES increase the pH at first, however as it's used up the acid that's created lowers it back down to where it was before......thus equaling each other out making it pH neutral.

The TFP Wiki is towards the bottom of any forum page and also in the left screen sidebar. Browse through whenever you have a thought/question. Peruse anything relevant to you in your free time. :)

First and foremost…….WELCOME TO TFP!

A really quick favor to ask of you, do you mind if I attempt to mirror your account and look at things that led up to you writing this question? Some of the behavior seems odd and I’d like to recreate things if I may.

The app has undergone a major behind the scenes update this week and I’m kinda wondering if something’s occurring that we can clean up.
Lee
Be my guest, but I'm a first time user, so 'operator error' and my not understanding things may be most or all of the problem. If you need anything from me let me know. Good luck.

Be my guest, but I'm a first time user, so 'operator error' and my not understanding things may be most or all of the problem. If you need anything from me let me know. Good luck.
Wrong way of looking at it…….you are our target audience, your insights are very beneficial.

Reactions: Newdude