PoolMath issue--how many gallons?

Darn, thought I had it.....

If you have an air compressor or can borrow one, maybe you can get the tip of the line down there (of course disconnect air compressor from electricity as you never know) and blow air and this may stir things up. The tip is small (maybe 1/4 "). I use compressed air to move things around in a car, around the garage, etc. The best is my Red Maxx blower to dry a car (which will not work in this case). It appears you have algae inside the light and the trick is to get in there to break everything up so the bleach can do the trick. Keep us posted!

Passed OCLT two nights in a row--woot! :kim: Now just waiting for FC to drop below 10 so I can check pH. Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread; your kindness and willingness to help are so much appreciated! Now let's just hope that this was not a mustard algae outbreak.

I've read a lot of negative things about algaecide on TFP, but am wondering if my situation may call for it every so often--to recap this thread, I had an algae outbreak that I think originated from my pool lights; I was able to clean the outer ring covering the light but cannot clean inside the lights where there seems to be a bit more algae. I really, really don't want to deal with an algae outbreak again; I've had two in less than two seasons. Thoughts?

Now I am a little nervous about using PoolMath :(
Understand, Pool Math is just a tool. It doesn't know your pool, I doesn't know my pool, it just calculates numbers based on the input you provide. It's kind of like a hammer, if the nail you're driving bends, do you blame the hammer?

You are in a SLAM. If you calculate your pool volume a little too low, well that means your FC will be a little too high. OK, so what?

All numbers used for testing, like a OCLT should be tested numbers, not calculated. What does this mean? It's 8PM. You have just added a gallon of chlorine which by Pool Math should take you to FC 18. Well, this is a calculated number. It should take you to 18, but did it? That is why we only deal with "tested" numbers.

Now we test. Well, the FAS/DPD test shows we are at 17. So, we can figure two things -

- 17 is our starting number for the OCLT

- Our pool,volume is probably off as the added bleach did not have the expected result.

I've read a lot of negative things about algaecide on TFP, but am wondering if my situation may call for it every so often--to recap this thread, I had an algae outbreak that I think originated from my pool lights; I was able to clean the outer ring covering the light but cannot clean inside the lights where there seems to be a bit more algae. I really, really don't want to deal with an algae outbreak again; I've had two in less than two seasons. Thoughts?
Please understand, most algecide so do not "kill" live algae. They "prevent" algae. Read the labels on most algecides and you will see that they recomend eradicating algae before using.

It may, but maintaining the propervFC/CYA ratio will almost assure no algae.

It didn't this time; my CYA and FC were at recommended levels. I am having an issue with my pool lights that is something I'm not going to be able to totally remedy, as discussed earlier in this thread. As I stated, I'm wondering if algaecide might give me that little extra fight against the light problem, which is not going away any time soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maintain a higher chlorine level than you were maintaining previously to prevent algae.
Was your FC always above minimum when the SWG was about to turn on for the day? Always above minimum when a bunch of people swam all day? If yes, then keep FC at 5 or higher at all times instead, or 6. It is much cheaper and easier to maintain a little higher FC level.

Algaecide will cost you money and it will use some additional FC as it oxidizes. And if you happen to use some with copper in it then you will have stains, green water, hair, fingernails, dogs, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.