Pool wont hold chlorine

Aug 9, 2015
macomb twp
I have a hayward SWG and I cannot get the pool to hold chlorine. It has been somewhat hot here but this has never been a issue before. Every few days I have to dump in a half gallon of chlorine. The pools salt cell will not maintain a adequate amount to be self sufficient. I have been told that there might be something in the pool (algea/Fungus) that is killing all my chlorine. The water is crystal clear. No issues to the human eye.

FC 2.5 - was 5 or 6 a 2 days ago
TA 100
PH - 7.4
CYA - 73
temp 88
SWG 3200
SWG is at 80%
phospahtes were at 400
Took sample to pool store and the numbers all checked out good.
Called hayward to run through my cell with me and the boards numbers all checked out fine. Any suggestions??????? should I turn off salt cell and slam pool? The TFT website says 4 gallons of chlorine to slam pool.

Elevate the FC a bit (10ppm +) and run the OCLT to see if anything is in the water.
If you pass, then you just need to up the SWG output % or increase run time to account for the hotter, sunnier weather.
If you fail, then you need to follow the SLAM Process process.

Remember the SLAM processes is not a 1 time chlorine addition. You have to maintain the FC at the shock level until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

That cell can produce 8.4ppm of FC in your pool if running 24 hours at 100%.

@ 9 hours and 80% ... that is adding 8.4 * .8 * (9/24) = 2.5 ppm of FC. That is a reasonable amount, but perhaps a little low in the heart of summer.

no i never went to 100%. I will try that after the Overnight chlorine test. I raised the chlorine to 13. SWG is off. I will check it first thing in the morning and hopefully it does not drop a ton. If it does then I guess I need to slam the pool and there might be something in there killing my chlorine. If it just drops 1 then I guess I got to turn the SWG up to 100% and maybe run the pump longer. I will update in the morning. Thanks for all the feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Starting just a couple weeks ago I had to increase my SWG, same cell as you, to run 24 hours and between 85-100%. Prior to that I was running 9 hours at 60%. My pool is southern facing and with longer direct sunlight, which has really pushed temps way up, my daily FC consumption really went up as well. At 100% and running 24 hours a day the cell produces 8.6FC. --- for 10,000 gallon pool yours would produce 11.1FC.

Starting just a couple weeks ago I had to increase my SWG, same cell as you, to run 24 hours and between 85-100%. Prior to that I was running 9 hours at 60%. My pool is southern facing and with longer direct sunlight, which has really pushed temps way up, my daily FC consumption really went up as well. At 100% and running 24 hours a day the cell produces 8.6FC.

In your 13k pool, the T-9 should be able to produce 6.5ppm of FC in a day. The T-9 claims to produce 0.7 pounds of chlorine gas in a day.

In your 13k pool, the T-9 should be able to produce 6.5ppm of FC in a day. The T-9 claims to produce 0.7 pounds of chlorine gas in a day.
I've seen several people mention that T-9 produces 0.7lbs/day. However according to Hayward product specs the T-9 produces 0.98 lbs/day. I also reached out to Hayward tech support, they said production is 0.93lbs/day.

I am sure the quoted values are for new. I also do think that the production May lower as they get old although I'm not sure it would be linear. I think the production might drop a very quickly toward the end of life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.