Pool Water Level Uneven

redrobbinbirds

Aug 16, 2023
South Hadley, MA
Moved from HERE

@nicknash, was there a fix for this? Or did you leave it as is. We are going through the same issues with our pool install. I don't really know where to start or just leave it and hope for the best. We first noticed it was not level when we filled it with water last year. Its a new install.

Pictures for reference. First photos are when we first opened it this year. Second photos are from mid season this year.

IMG_8511.jpegIMG_8513.jpegIMG_8514.jpegIMG_9282.jpegIMG_9283.jpegIMG_9284.jpgIMG_9281.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that looks pretty bad. They used a spinning laser level the entire time they were doing mine. It is still perfect. Was yours ever good or was it like this from the first fill?

Step 1: call the installers and have them come out and evaluate. Have a "witness" with you when they come out. Preferably not a spouse or relative. Have that person take notes about and during the discussion. Follow up the meeting with an email that captures the conversation, as in: "On August 17, 2023 we met at my house to evaluate the level of the pool. You said blah, blah, blah... You agreed to blah, blah, blah... You committed to the next steps as follows... Etc" At the end of email, ask that the recipient confirm receipt by replying to the email. If they don't, then don't send any more emails, use certified mail instead, starting with a letter with the same content.

During the meeting, commit to nothing. Say as little as possible. Just ask questions. For example, don't say "I think the dirt is sinking." Instead ask "Why do you think it is not level?" Or NOT "You need to redo the whole thing," but instead "How can this be fixed?" Etc. Give him no ammo. Collect it instead.

He may be a stand up guy, and fix your pool. Or he may offer excuses why he's not going to. This first meeting sets the stage. You want him to fix the pool. You don't want to have to sue him to do it. But if it comes to that, these important initial steps will help you win if you have to go down that road.

Stay on his good side. Keep the meeting positive. But make your expectations clear (without emotion). The pool installation is not acceptable, and you're looking to have it made right.

Fingers crossed it goes well.

BTW, welcome to TFP. Sorry it is under these circumstances, but glad you found us anyway...

PS. I'm no kind of legal expert. I don't even play one on TV. I watch a lot of TV, does that count? I've had some experience winning suits against contractors. I'm just sharing what worked for me.

PPS. Forgot to mention: by no stretch of anyone's imagination is yours an acceptable pool installation (if that's what it looked like on day 1). If it was fine on day 1, and has sunk since, the installer might still be on the hook. Start with step 1.

Last edited:
Excellent advice by Dirk.

Is that a retaining wall I see beyond the deck on the side of the pool that is lower? Any signs of settling in/around the wall? Was the wall done at the same time as the pool?
All excellent questions. @redrobbinbirds, signs of settling include cracks in the deck, or the retaining wall if that is one, or its cap. Cracks are normal sometimes, doesn't always mean settling, but can mean that.

Sorry you’re dealing with this 😩
Hopefully they make things right.
Follow Dirk’s advice & document every interaction with the builder.
It’s been a year so I am assuming you’ve paid in full?

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.