Pool Water Green

What were the results from this am and after work? Did it drop below 16ppm today?

Dark green is a lot of algae to fix, it's going to take some time. If you fell below 16ppm you might have stalled a bit today as well. If no one can test and add bleach during the day, then yes absolutely add extra in the AM so that it doesn't fall below shock level. You are safe to add up to 29ppm (mustard shock level for 50ppm CYA) so don't worry about over shocking till you hit that nut :~}

I don't know if this would be right, but if you wanted to raise it to mustard shock level you might see quicker results. Again, I am not sure if this is a good idea but since mustard shock level is still safe for your pool... I myself might consider dosing it that high for a day or two and then dropping back to normal shock level for the rest of the process.

Also, as has been suggested make sure there is no debris in the pool, leaves and organic matter constantly decompose... and decomposition uses the chlorine you are intending to be used for the algae. If you have debris in the pool, once you get it out you'll see better results.

Dalandlord said:
It won't hurt anything to go over your target to compensate for the FC loss while you are gone.

Maybe about 5ppm or so in a vinyl pool, you don't want to go much higher than that...while it won;t compensate for all FC loss, it will still help some.

Ok for the past 2 days, I haven't been able to test for chlorine. Ever since I put a little extra shock in the pool when I left for work the other day. When I add the little spoon of the chemicals it turns pink a little and when i swirl it, the pink goes away. When I run a color drop chlorine test it is orange/red in color showing their is a lot of chlorine. Is there too much chlorine?

High chlorine levels require more scoops of powder. Put enough powder in to turn the sample hot pink. Two scoops should do the trick. When it drops below 10ppm or so (not sure of the actual cut off ppm) you'll only need one scoop for hot pink.

The test will not be accurate if it's not hot pink. You can't really put too much in either. There will be some left undissolved on the bottom, that is normal.

frogabog said:
High chlorine levels require more scoops of powder. Put enough powder in to turn the sample hot pink. Two scoops should do the trick. When it drops below 10ppm or so (not sure of the actual cut off ppm) you'll only need one scoop for hot pink.

The test will not be accurate if it's not hot pink. You can't really put too much in either. There will be some left undissolved on the bottom, that is normal.

Thanks for the info. 2 scoops did do the trick :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.