Pool Water Green, Should I Complete Drain it to Clean it?

YoshiMoshi

Jun 14, 2023
Concord, NH
TLDR: My above ground pool is about 1/4 to 1/2 full, way below the pump, it is green water, and previously had algae sand like substance on the floor of the pool we couldn't get rid of. Should I completely drain my pool to do a more through cleaning?

I have a above ground pool that I accidentally drained the majority of the water out of. I left a pool pump inside of the pool to drain it partially (it had to much water in it) after unplugging it. I didn't realize, that even after unplugging the pool pump (there was no power going to it) water would still continue to be drained. It's about 1/4 to 1/2 half full now. Way below the skimmer where I have the pump.

Previously when the water was the proper level, there was a sand like substance inside of the pool settling on the floor, even with the pump on. We tried to vacuum it up, but it would turn into a dust cloud. After vacuuming up the whole pool, I would see a green particle like substance floating in the water. I jumped in at one point and attempted to touch it, to confirm it was algae instead of sand from the filter. I couldn't even get to it. As soon as I got close to it, it turned into a cloud. I'm pretty sure it was algae. We tried putting in some chemicals to shock the water to help get rid of it, but it didn't seem to help.

Now with my pool with about 1/4 to 1/2 full, the water has turned a nasty green. I'm debating if I should completely drain it, hop into the pool and attempt to clean the remaining algae residue in it? Whatever we were doing before to attempt to get rid of the algae clearly didn't work, so I'm thinking with it completely empty, I would have better luck at cleaning it off the liner. I'm not what chemical I should use to accomplish this, or if this even the right approach. I've read online that completely draining your pool could damage the liner, or debris could fall into it and damage it. But if I clean it out the same day I completely drain it, and then add in a few inches of fresh water, I should be fine?

Or is the approach of refilling the pool, so that way I can turn the pump back in, and putting some additional chemicals to get rid of the algae and make the water not green a better approach?

At this point, the season is almost over, and by the time we get it all cleaned out, it will be time to close it out for the year because it will be getting cold. So I'm not looking to use it this year, just take care of the algae so next year it will be in good enough shape to hopefully use.

Thanks for any help and advice!

This may not apply to you, but I'm assuming this is a seasonal pool since you mention "closing it out".

If you decide to fully drain, remember, if you don't clean it with bleach/chlorine, you will be dealing with the same problem next year.

Here is a guide to seasonal pools, I hope it helps with your decisions:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.