Pool Vacuuming Valve Question

opropro

May 29, 2023
Minneapolis, MN
Hi!

New pool owner here. Before vacuuming for the first time, I want to make sure I do everything correctly. We have two valves, one for the skimmer and one for the main drain. Which one/s should be open/closed for vacuuming? I have attached a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5974.jpg
    IMG_5974.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 10
O,

Well, where do you plan to connect the vacuum?

It is impossible to connect it to the main drain, and that only leaves the skimmer. If you shut off the skimmer, you will have no suction going to the vacuum.

Leave the skimmer and main drain wide open. Add your vac hose to the skimmer and start the pump. Slowly.. close the main drain valve a little at a time. Stop when the pump starts to struggle because it is not getting enough water and then open the main drain back up just enough to keep the pump running well.

If you find that you can close the main drain and the pump is still running well, that is great!! Just leave it closed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pat,

Good catch... I missed the fact that the OP has a pressure side cleaner..

In which case.. Why would you need to shut off the main drain or the skimmer. :scratch:

O,

If you have a pressure side cleaner, with a booster pump, you do not need to shut off either the main drain or the skimmer. But you could if you want, shut off one or the other, but not both.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Texas Splash
O,

If you manually vacuum, then you need to do what I suggested in post #2..

When you use your pressure side cleaner, you do not need to do anything with the two valves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.