Pool vac / manual cleaner

Jun 4, 2014
Northern CA
Hey guys, just bought a house with my first in ground pool. Had many Doughboys in the past but I'm getting used to the small differences.
I know everyone has their preferences so I am looking for some suggestions for what I should buy to clean the pool. It has a auto pool sweep that half Rear works, looking for something I can use when I want to manually Vaccum the bottom or suck up leaves and debris. With the dougboys I have always just had a Vaccum that I connected to the port under the skimmer inlet. Not sure the best option for an in ground, so all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I'm a cheapskate and I don't get a whole lot of stuff blown in, so I use a manual vacuum I bought at Lowes. I connect it straight to the skimmer.

I also have a Poolblaster Catfish. It's battery operated. Even new it didn't have enough life to vacuum the whole pool, but it's good to grab the odd leaf that falls in minutes after I've coiled up the vacuum hose and put it away. It doesn't do well with really dense stuff like shingle grit that ends up in the pool.

We have tiered systems for both water and electricity in our area. Both can get expensive if going over the base tier limit. To reduce my electric bill, I run my pool pump at low speed most of the time. This produces enough suction for the skimmer but not enough to run a suction side vacuum. So I bought Doheny's Discovery, the robotic cleaner, for the bottom and wall cleaning.

I have a vacuum head like this and it works pretty well.

I also got a skimmer basket vacuum plate, like one of these:

It lets me vacuum up larger things like leaves and they get caught in the normal skimmer basket to empty, which is way easier to clean out then the pump basket and holds more debris to boot. Before I got it I had vacuumed my pool and taken out about 5-6 pump baskets of leaves, dead earthworms, and a dead frog.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.