Pool vac hose pulling out of wall fitting

stedgar

Mar 8, 2021
Lake Elsinore, California
My pool vac hose is pulling out of the pool vac lock wall fitting. I have made sure when I inserted the hose into the wall fitting, that the tab on the fitting door is seated onto the hose rib. For some reason, the vac keeps pulling the hose out. Are there other types of fittings that I can use to insure that this does not happen again? Pool vac is a Pentair Rebel. Thank you.

My pool vac hose is pulling out of the pool vac lock wall fitting. I have made sure when I inserted the hose into the wall fitting, that the tab on the fitting door is seated onto the hose rib. For some reason, the vac keeps pulling the hose out. Are there other types of fittings that I can use to insure that this does not happen again? Pool vac is a Pentair Rebel. Thank you.
I guess I could ziptie the hose to the fitting flap to stop it from pulling out and call it a day.

I could dream up some emergency scenarios where not being able to quickly disconnect the hose from the wall could be bad, even dangerous. I wouldn't use any sort of permanent connection for that reason.

I've never had this issue, so I don't have any experienced advice. And it sounds like you have a good grasp of how that connection works (the little tab fitting into the groove). I had it pop off once or twice, but never regularly. I figured it was just me being careless about connecting the hose to the fitting. I take better care each time, now.

If could be one or more of these:

- Maybe the door's spring has weakened over time and you need a new spring, or an entire new fitting if they don't sell just the spring.

- Maybe that little tab on the door has weakened over time, or gotten malformed somehow. Another possible reason to replace the fitting.

- The hose's groove that tab fits into maybe has become compromised over time. Try swapping hose sections to get a different section going into the wall.

- Or maybe the vac head is tugging on the hose such that it is causing the problem. The hose should sort'a float on the surface a ways out from the wall, then dive down to meet the head. That's what mine does, anyway. Have you read and followed the directions for determining how many sections of hose to use? You might need one more section. Do you have an extra one to try?

- I once had the hose connection at the vac head get clogged up with grit that kept it from rotating freely. That might cause a tug on the hose that might travel all the way back to the fitting. Try cleaning the rotating fitting on the vac head.

- You should have a length of leader hose between the main hose and the vac head. It's about a foot long. It's more flexible than the main hose, and is required for best operation. Without that more flexible chunk, the vac head might be tugging on the main hose more than it should. And they wear out and form tears and leaks (so it might have gotten tossed by a previous owner and not replaced). See that you have one. If you don't, get one. If you have one, inspect it for tears or leaks (where the corrugated hose part fits into each end). I don't know that a leak in that leader hose would be contributing to the hose popping off the wall, but a missing leader certainly could. Either way, you gotta replace those leader hose once in a while. I'm on my third one in five years.

- When I seat the hose into the fitting, I make sure it is fully seated, jammed as far in as possible, and then I watch that the tab fully seats into the groove, not part way in.

- I don't remember the instructions for the weight placement. I didn't place mine, a pool guy assembled my hose (and then stole all the extra sections!). So you might reread those instructions and possibly fool around with the weight placement.

See how much of my hose kind'a floats on the surface, so that at the wall there is no downward pull that might free the hose. Does yours do that? Also, the door swings up, so that the hose floating helps keep the door's tab in the groove. (Sorry, the thermometer is in the way this morning!)

vac hose.jpg

The leader hose, it's got a red warning label on it, where the regular hose lengths don't. It's about a foot long:

vac leader hose.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.