Pool too hot

Flbeachluvr

Bronze Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Port Orange, FL
Here in sunny, hot and humid Florida my pool temp was 94 degrees yesterday. I like a warm pool but not that warm. Not sure if there's anything I can do to lower the temp before we have guests next weekend who really want to swim. I do have solar but the display on my Pentair Solar Touch is wonky and I can't read it enough to change it to the cooling mode. I tried buying one of those cheapo fountains from Amazon a couple years ago but it didn't fit my returns. The returns are the eyeball type with a ring that holds the eyeball in. If I remove that there is a piece of threaded pipe that comes out of the side of the pool. All the fountains I've looked at screw in with threaded male attachments. Would running the pump at night make any difference? Humidity is running at about 75% and the dew point is 76-80 if that makes any difference. Pool isn’t screened and gets full sun all day. We've had no rain for the past week to cool down the pool either. Sure hoping we get some this week.

Last edited:
Would running the pump at night make any difference?
A small amount. It would keep the warmer water towards the surface where it could cool off faster but that happens naturally with convection although not as quickly.

Humidity is running at about 75% and the dew point is 76-80 if that makes any difference. Pool isn’t screened and gets full sun all day. We've had no rain for the past week to cool down the pool either. Sure hoping we get some this week.
Dew points matters a lot as that determines how quickly evaporation occurs which in turn reduces water temps. The sprays help increase the effective surface area of the water thereby increasing evaporation. This will probably be the most effective way to lower temps. Even a garden hose connected to the plumbing system via a drain port could help.

If the pool is screened in, is there a way to put a sun shade/sale either below the screen or above it? The downside is it reduces radiation heat loss at night because the night sky is then obscured. But it would most likely be a net loss of heat. Even a couple of umbrellas put up during the day and taken down at night would help.

Cool mode in the panels would help but the problem with panels on a roof is the roof temp can remain higher than the pool temp for long after the sun sets so there may not be much net loss using this method. If the panels are on the ground or over an arbor, it would work better.

A small amount. It would keep the warmer water towards the surface where it could cool off faster but that happens naturally with convection although not as quickly.

Dew points matters a lot as that determines how quickly evaporation occurs which in turn reduces water temps. The sprays help increase the effective surface area of the water thereby increasing evaporation. This will probably be the most effective way to lower temps. Even a garden hose connected to the plumbing system via a drain port could help.

If the pool is screened in, is there a way to put a sun shade/sale either below the screen or above it? The downside is it reduces radiation heat loss at night because the night sky is then obscured. But it would most likely be a net loss of heat. Even a couple of umbrellas put up during the day and taken down at night would help.

Cool mode in the panels would help but the problem with panels on a roof is the roof temp can remain higher than the pool temp for long after the sun sets so there may not be much net loss using this method. If the panels are on the ground or over an arbor, it would work better.
Thanks. Looks like I'll just have to do a rain dance at this point.

I do have solar but the display on my Pentair Solar Touch is wonky and I can't read it enough to change it to the cooling mode
Any chance your adding heat with you solar set up? Any valves your familiar with to turn is off?. I also live in Port Orange my water is 85, but I do have a birdcage and my pool is 8.5 deep so I get a cooler mix from the deep end.

I have a cheap fountain to cool our pool down and it came with multiple connection options (I don't have them as I discarded what I didn't need). Here is one that says it has multiple plumbing connections; perhaps it's worth a question to the seller to see if they can show you the connections?

Any chance your adding heat with you solar set up? Any valves your familiar with to turn is off?. I also live in Port Orange my water is 85, but I do have a birdcage and my pool is 8.5 deep so I get a cooler mix from the deep end.
Solar is definitely off and has been for a few weeks. Our pool is pretty small and only 5’ deep. I think no screen and full sun all day are big contributors. The lack of rain isn’t helping either. 🥵

Reactions: jsygrls
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.