Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I was quoted $750 for a new pool timer with freeze protection; part and labor included. That seems a little excessive, no?

Depends on the scope of work.

What model timer?

Is there an existing timer being replaced?

Depends on the scope of work.

What model timer?

Is there an existing timer being replaced?
Unsure of the model other than Intermatic single pump. I asked for the specific model.

It will replace our regular Intermatic timer that died. Manual switch worked but the gears stopped moving the timer.

Had a tech visit and no other issues reported. Just a simple swap

$750 is steep for replacing like for like Intermatic timer. The timer costs maybe $80 and a swap takes less than half an hour. Even with travel time that is a lot for little work.

You get a few quotes? Any handyman can replace the timer. It does nor need to be a licensed electrician for such a repair.

Reactions: Mdragger88
$750 is steep for replacing like for like Intermatic timer. The timer costs maybe $80 and a swap takes less than half an hour. Even with travel time that is a lot for little work.

You get a few quotes? Any handyman can replace the timer. It does nor need to be a licensed electrician for such a repair.
We were hoping to add freeze protection which I know increases the price but it still seems like a lot. $500 for the part and $250 for installation.

Decided to just swap the mechanism and ordered the new one for $80 like you said. Have someone coming out to give a quote for installation. If they also come in high I might just do it myself. I replaced lights and switches in my house, this just seemed more complicated and possibly more dangerous.

We were hoping to add freeze protection which I know increases the price but it still seems like a lot. $500 for the part and $250 for installation.
That becomes a different story.

An Intermatic timer with freeze protection can cost a few hundred depending on the model he intended to install and take longer to swap.

The quote may not be unreasonable for that.

Reactions: dcp063
$250 for labor is totally fair for almost anyone who needs to come quote the job, go get parts and return to then do the work. It's never just the hour they spend doing the work.

A 'little guy' often pays more at their local distributor than we can find online at a bulk supplier, so that comes into play also.

$250 for labor is totally fair for almost anyone who needs to come quote the job, go get parts and return to then do the work. It's never just the hour they spend doing the work.

A 'little guy' often pays more at their local distributor than we can find online at a bulk supplier, so that comes into play also.
Agree if not for the initial $125 to come diagnose the problem.

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That becomes a different story.

An Intermatic timer with freeze protection can cost a few hundred depending on the model he intended to install and take longer to swap.

The quote may not be unreasonable for that.
Yeah, I included that in my original post. Looking like on average it would be $350 for the part, so they’re up charging $150. Plus $250 for installation which I get. They have to charge for their expertise but still seems a bit high. Plus $125 I already paid to come diagnose the problem. I’m still new to pool ownership so maybe there’s some sticker shock.

The up charge includes then advancing the cost of the device, warranty call backs, time for someone to order it or pick it up, CC fees if you pay by CC and they don't charge you 3% more, etc. Parts markups are not unusual.

You can offer to supply the parts. Then you take the risk of the installed part being defective out of the box and any warranty issues.

Installers will rarely charge you the price you can buy a part for on the Internet or even at the local supply house. I will do local parts pickups for my contractors to save their up charges.

Reactions: newdude and dcp063
The up charge includes then advancing the cost of the device, warranty call backs, time for someone to order it or pick it up, CC fees if you pay by CC and they don't charge you 3% more, etc. Parts markups are not unusual.

You can offer to supply the parts. Then you take the risk of the installed part being defective out of the box and any warranty issues.

Installers will rarely charge you the price you can buy a part for on the Internet or even at the local supply house. I will do local parts pickups for my contractors to save their up charges.
That makes sense. And for the freeze protection that seems reasonable. They also quoted $650 ($400 part, $250 install) for a regular timer that I just bought for $80. Including diagnostic visit, that’s $775 for an $80 part install. I think I already knew the answer to my original question. This company left a bad taste in my mouth and I’m looking for other options. Thanks for the insight.

I’m still new to pool ownership so maybe there’s some sticker shock.
I have *any kind of work* sticker shock these days. :ROFLMAO:

Multiple quotes always helps you feel better about whoever you went with.

I have *any kind of work* sticker shock these days. :ROFLMAO:

Multiple quotes always helps you feel better about whoever you went with.
As a new homeowner I’m DIYing a lot because of cost. It usually goes: I can’t do this/I don’t want to die, let me get a quote, I guess I’m doing it myself. Masonry is the only thing that I had to swallow my pride and hire someone to fix.

Problem with multiple quotes is most places are charging to have someone come out and won’t give you a price over the phone. So 3 quotes could cost me almost $400.

Problem with multiple quotes is most places are charging to have someone come out and won’t give you a price over the phone. So 3 quotes could cost me almost $400.
I here ya. Home Depot lost a $12k sale, plus install for 3 entry doors because they would only quote me if they came and measured themselves for $150 (?).

I went prepared. I popped the trim and had pics of the openings, with clear pics of both ends of the tape proving I was measuring correctly, but it didn't matter.

The local carpenter just told me to order my own doors and he'd make them fit for $XXXX over the phone.

Reactions: dcp063