Pool system is turning off and on for no reason

Derek8017

Oct 6, 2023
San Bernardino, CA
Hi, new to the board. Having an issue with my pool controls. System does some funky thing where it’s turning on an off. Have no idea why. Here is a link to the video since I don’t know if you can load one to the forum.

I don’t know what the low speed is for so if someone has advice that would be super helpful.

Derek, welcome to TFP! :wave: Your pump is struggling to prime with that surging sound. Also seems to be trying to prime on a low speed which may not be ideal. We're going to need to know more about your equipment as well. I'm going to ask @Jimrahbe to join the discussion as well since he may be familiar with your specific automation.

While waiting for Jim and others to join, please take a moment to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See my sig as an example. The link below may also help.

Derek,

You have what appears to be a Jandy Automation system.

We can't tell anything from your video. Please post several pics of your equipment pad so that we can see how it is plumbed and how the valves are set.

Just based upon the noise the pump is making, it sounds to me like your water level is either very low at the skimmers, or that you have a skimmer weir door that is sticking up.

With the pump trying to prime, go over and look down into your skimmer and tell we what you see.

At first glance, this does not appear to be an automation issue...

Thanks,

Jim R,

Reactions: Texas Splash
You can pretty clearly hear the pump relay ticking on and off, so IMHO something has gone terribly wrong with Derek's controller.
One possibility is that there is bad connection in the supply to the panel, which means that the pump is causing the voltage to sink enough to cause the relay to release.

Derek: Do you have a convenience outlet in that panel with the jandy controller? If so can you plug a lamp of some sort (desk lamp, work lamp, etc) in and observe if the lamp dims in time with the pump cycling?

You can pretty clearly hear the pump relay ticking on and off

I can't clearly hear anything!!! Too many jet engines and being old as dirt. :mrgreen:

I would assume if the automation's AC voltage dropped off enough for the relays to drop out, that the whole automation would shut off and have to reboot.. I don't know that for fact, it just makes common sense to me..

If this were my system, I would put it in the Service mode and see if I could just run the pump by itself. At this point we do not even know if the pump is a single speed pump or a VS pump.

I still want to see some real pics and not a tiny video.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I would assume if the automation's AC voltage dropped off enough for the relays to drop out, that the whole automation would shut off and have to reboot.. I don't know that for fact, it just makes common sense to me..
That was my though as well, but the capacitors in the power supply for the main part of the automation might well allow it to ride out a brief interruption, where the unregulated supply feeding the relays might not.

Flyn,

No two people troubleshoot the same way, but very often find the same failure..

I used to be a pretty good on-site troubleshooter, but the Internet soon made me pretty humble.. :mrgreen:

I've learned that I can be just as far off, as I am spot on... just based on how I interpret how the problem is presented.

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.