Pool still green and cloudy! HELP!

This is not going well.

Ph < 7.0

The chlorine test says to keep adding drops until it clears and I've added 100 drops to the 25 ml (.2 ppm per drop) of water and it's still not clearing at all. I don't know whether to keep trying (and not be able to test again later -- it'll all be gone!).

Sorry you are having issues.
Can you describe your FC test? Did it immediately turn and stay pink before you added any drops?

If you got the TF100, I would have suggested to use the OTO chlorine test to get a rough idea of how high the FC is.

Did the sample turn pink at all? It should right away without drops there are some good videos on YouTube showing this test but I don't have the links handy.

Sent via Tapatalk...

jblizzle said:
Can you describe your FC test? Did it immediately turn and stay pink before you added any drops?

If you got the TF100, I would have suggested to use the OTO chlorine test to get a rough idea of how high the FC is.
Great idea! The OTO test if your kit has one is a color indicator. It gives shades of yellow, turning orange or dark orange when FC is really high.

Sent via Tapatalk...

jblizzle said:

OK. Here goes. No, I got the Taylor K-2006. Yes it turned and stayed pink. Now I have redone it with a much smaller water sample.
but I forgot to do the CC test before I dumped the sample. I'll try that again later.

FC ~27 ppm
CC ???
CH 210
TA 50 (I think this is right, but the directions say green to red and mine went from blue to yellow and stayed yellow then)
CYA > 100 ppm (very cloudy and way below the 100 mark)

Did you dump the CYA test mix yet? If not, replace half of it with tap water and then retest and double the reading. If you did dump it, start with 50/50 mix of pool and tap water and then double the reading.

Your first step is going to be replacing a lot of water to get the CYA to something manageable.

Read this for more info about the tests:
Extended Test Instructions

jblizzle said:
Did you dump the CYA test mix yet? If not, replace half of it with tap water and then retest and double the reading. If you did dump it, start with 50/50 mix of pool and tap water and then double the reading.

Your first step is going to be replacing a lot of water to get the CYA to something manageable.

Read this for more info about the tests:
Extended Test Instructions

Thanks I'll do that when I get back home in a couple hours.

Good news, bad news time...

First congrats on your first measurements and taking control if the pool. That's the good news.

With CYA that high it is time to change out some water. First you need to redo the test and dilute the sample with an equal amount of water from the tap or a bottle. Then take the result and multiply by 2x.

If the test is still shows 100 [meaning 200 due to the 2x] then don't toss the sample out, just take it and dilute it again with an equal amount of water and multiply the results by 4. You can nitpick and mix a 3x type solution but it isn't important the idea is to get an estimate of how far over 100 you are.

Once you understand where you stand we can tell you how much water you have to drain and refill.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UnderWaterVanya said:
Good news, bad news time...

First congrats on your first measurements and taking control if the pool. That's the good news.

With CYA that high it is time to change out some water. First you need to redo the test and dilute the sample with an equal amount of water from the tap or a bottle. Then take the result and multiply by 2x.

If the test is still shows 100 [meaning 200 due to the 2x] then don't toss the sample out, just take it and dilute it again with an equal amount of water and multiply the results by 4. You can nitpick and mix a 3x type solution but it isn't important the idea is to get an estimate of how far over 100 you are.

Once you understand where you stand we can tell you how much water you have to drain and refill.

Sent via Tapatalk...

It looks like 360 now.

That is going to be a lot of partial water changes to get it down to 30-50ppm ... you should always leave at least a foot of water so the liner is less likely to shift.

You will need to do three 50% water changes to get in range.

k8conant said:
jblizzle said:

OK. Here goes. No, I got the Taylor K-2006. Yes it turned and stayed pink. Now I have redone it with a much smaller water sample.
but I forgot to do the CC test before I dumped the sample. I'll try that again later.

FC ~27 ppm
CC ???
CH 210
TA 50 (I think this is right, but the directions say green to red and mine went from blue to yellow and stayed yellow then)
CYA > 100 ppm (very cloudy and way below the 100 mark)

I retested the FC and it was 30 ppm and CC is 3.

My test booklet says the blue to yellow on TA is due to high chlorine.

CYA on retest was 250.

I am syphoning water from the pool now. Should I just go down 1/3 (which by my calculations would be 16") or should I do more?

My husband thinks we should get water delivered but it would also be possible to refill from the well water although that would take a while. I don't now how soon I could get water delivered.

You need to leave at least 1 foot of water in the pool everywhere to avoid liner issues.

It does not quite work the way you describe. If you did two 50% changes that would be the same as one 75% change. So I would do two ~60% changes.

It's probably a good idea to find out whats in your well water before you fill 80% of your pool with it. You can find out CH with your kit but for anything else you'd need to unfortunately take it to a pool store unless you've had your well tested and already have the results.

k8conant said:
My husband thinks we should get water delivered but it would also be possible to refill from the well water although that would take a while. I don't now how soon I could get water delivered.

JesseWV said:
It's probably a good idea to find out whats in your well water before you fill 80% of your pool with it. You can find out CH with your kit but for anything else you'd need to unfortunately take it to a pool store unless you've had your well tested and already have the results.

k8conant said:

We haven't had any problems before with our water/

Because you will unset your liner, pull it from the track, cause unsightly wrinkles and possibly do all 3. This needs to be done in stages to prevent problems a liner will go through with draining a liner pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.