Aug 10, 2021
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey eveyone,

I know this is a common question on the forum but after 3 weeks I'm just not sure what I should be doing at this point. Pool was swampy green when I opened it. It has brand new sand, and I balanced everything and SLAMed for two weeks and vaccuum all the leaves and debris from the bottom. It turned to a cloudy blue, then I gained some visiblisty but I still can't see the bottom. After about two weeks, I passed the OCTL so I began to lower the FC levels to between 2-6 based off my CYA of 30. The pump has been running 24/7 but now I'm not seeing anymore progress each day. I know I shouldn't add a bunch of chemicals to the pool but I feel like I should do SOMETHING because I'm not seeing any progress. The filter also seems to only get dirty (PSI goes up by 25%) if I add a little DE first, once I add the DE I usually have to backwash in two days. If I don't add the DE the PSI never goes up really. I'm only adding about 3 TBSP. I did try to FLOC the pool at first cause it was so bad ( and I had some left over before I joined the TFP club), I'm a little worried it messed up my new sand because there was so much debris at first it clogged up both skimmer baskets containly so I did the best I could vacuuming to waste but the second time days later I vaccummed to filter because I would be loosing to much water (took 3 hours to vacuum, removing leaves from basket repeat). I did a filter deep clean just because of how dirty the pool was to begin with but again, its brand new filter media.

Most recent test:
CYA: 30
FC: 5
CC: ~0.5 (R-0003 turns clear water light pink then 1 drop of R-0871 clears it up).
TA: 80
pH: 7.4

Last edited:
Deep clean after adding the FLOC. FLOC was done after adding new sand (that was the very first thing I did when openeng, filter sat empty all winter). I vacuumed to waste the first time. Vaccummed again like 4 days later but through filter. Vaccummed blind both time since I can't see the bottom of the pool. I got into the pool last week and swam around the bottom and the floor looked normal (i.e. nothing gross, no debris accumulating on the bottom).

So it is best to just keep playing the waiting game and have the pump running 24/7? That was my original plan but I started to second guessing myself when progress slowed and wanted some TFP assurance :)

So it is best to just keep playing the waiting game and have the pump running 24/7?
I would for now. Low speed is fine. It won't hurt the pump. At some point though, if it doesn't improve, you may have to make a decision about the sand because of the floc. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.