Pool Startup - First Pool - First Tests

CC is just a byproduct of chlorine doing its job. You will see it every now and then. As long as it is .5 or less it is fine. If it starts climbing then there is a something going on, usually algae.

It is fine to let your PH rise up to 7.8. It might stabilize somewhere in between. No need to adjust until it gets to 7.8.

Congrats on doing some swimming! :paddle: That is what we are here for!

Is your CH still 150? What is your fill water? If fill water is also low then you should raise CH to 250.

CC is just a byproduct of chlorine doing its job. You will see it every now and then. As long as it is .5 or less it is fine. If it starts climbing then there is a something going on, usually algae.

It is fine to let your PH rise up to 7.8. It might stabilize somewhere in between. No need to adjust until it gets to 7.8.

Congrats on doing some swimming! :paddle: That is what we are here for!

Is your CH still 150? What is your fill water? If fill water is also low then you should raise CH to 250.

Thanks!

Since we are still in pool startup I am not sure I should adjust the CH - my pool builder has told me only to work on PH and Cl.

Regarding CH, our fill water is about the same as my measurements - city water report shows an average of 160. My last CH test was 2 days ago.

After upping my FC to 8.0 with my addition last night this morning it tested right at 8.0. PH is still 7.2. I have been instructed to keep the PH at 7.2 while the plaster/wet edge surface cures for the first 28 days. We are at day 11 right now.

We are one week from being in charge of our water - and also switching to SWCG. So far everything is going smoothly for our first 3 weeks. Bleach and acid additions have become easy, so I think we are ready for the change over to Salt and adjusting to a completely new system.

Current Test:

FC 6.0
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 90
CH 150
CYA 50

Looks like from these tests I should add about 2lbs of CYA when we start the Salt generator, and up the CH to 200-250 or so.

Anything else anyone suggest we do?

everything you have done so far was the right thing to do. Its looking great!

We are one week from being in charge of our water - and also switching to SWCG. So far everything is going smoothly for our first 3 weeks. Bleach and acid additions have become easy, so I think we are ready for the change over to Salt and adjusting to a completely new system.

Current Test:

FC 6.0
CC 0
PH 7.3
TA 90
CH 150
CYA 50

Looks like from these tests I should add about 2lbs of CYA when we start the Salt generator, and up the CH to 200-250 or so.

Anything else anyone suggest we do?

Made the switch to Salt last week - I added one less bag than the pool builder suggested and a little less than PoolMath showed and ended up right at 3300. The Jandy system shows 3600.

Turned on our generator 24 hours later, and started it up at 75% based on our filter run time. I did discover that the Coverpools Interface board in not installed in our panel, so with the safety cover installed we end up getting too much Chlorine, so I ended up shutting the generator down for a couple of days as the FC hit 12!

Now I am getting it a bit more dialed in and have the FC sitting better. We added more CYA and Calcium Chloride last week to get my numbers better. Below are the test results from the weekend. I hope I get the interface board soon so I can have the chlorine amount lower when the pool is covered most days.

FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 90
CH 275
CYA 40 (3lbs of CYA added Thursday to bring CYA up closer to 70)
Salt 3300 - Jandy Panel Shows 3500-3600 consistently

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.