JeremyH

Jun 5, 2019
Saginaw, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone! It’s that time again to start the pool up. I have a quick question for all of you folks! I have a struggle every year getting this pool clear. It usually takes about 4-6 weeks for the pool to actually be clear and swimmable. This does get. Very. Very. Expensive.
After some realization over the years, I usually brushed 2 times a week and vacuumed 2 times a week as well. Is this what is hindering me and making this take so long? I’m very religious on the chlorine levels though. I’ll update with pool pics this afternoon!

What type of pool cover do you use during the winter?

What do you set the water chemistry to when closing the pool?

What type of pool cover do you use during the winter?

What do you set the water chemistry to when closing the pool?
I use a mesh cover since I have dogs. And tbh I’ve always closed the pool by just blowing lines and calling it a day. I’ve never really added closing chemicals or done anything special. This year I left cover off and there is plenty of leaf’s that got in

Echoing what AJW said about the chemicals. We have a mesh looploc cover because it came with the house but before I close I raise FC to SLAM and add the Polyquat 60.

Echoing what AJW said about the chemicals. We have a mesh looploc cover because it came with the house but before I close I raise FC to SLAM and add the Polyquat 60.
Question about the Polyquat 60. I see it says it’s a polymer which would be thick as it degrades. Would this affect my cartridge filter? I know you aren’t supposed to use flocculant polymers with cartridge filters

Question about the Polyquat 60. I see it says it’s a polymer which would be thick as it degrades. Would this affect my cartridge filter? I know you aren’t supposed to use flocculant polymers with cartridge filters
No PQ60 will not effect your filter.

Reactions: JeremyH
I can’t find the sock method for CYA anywhere. Can you link it for me if you know where it is? Thanks for the help!

Solid/granular CYA should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. If suspending near a return jet, ensure the sock cannot rest against the pool surface since the granules are acidic and could potentially discolor the surface. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. After soaking for about 30 minutes, squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

full

full

full

Reactions: JeremyH

Solid/granular CYA should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. If suspending near a return jet, ensure the sock cannot rest against the pool surface since the granules are acidic and could potentially discolor the surface. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. After soaking for about 30 minutes, squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

full

full

full
Hey Quick question for you again, I added about 6.5 pounds of CYA and i'm looking at about 30ppm right now. Yet my pH hasn't dropped barely. First reading was above the threshold 8.0 on the kit; so it is undetermined what it truly is unless I go to work and use our pH probe.
So do i wait for pH to come down as the CYA keeps breaking down; it's only been 2 days since adding the CYA. Or do i start adjusting so i can SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From Acid - Further Reading
  • Never pour muriatic acid into a measuring cup; open the jug, float it in the pool, and pour right into the water. Mark jugs with 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines from a stick calibrated once with water, then use that to control how much you put in. It doesn't usually have to be exact.
  • Pour acid slowly into the water. Acid is heavier then water and the faster you pour acid, more of the acid will sink to the bottom of the pool. With a slow pour over a return, more of the acid gets distributed through the water column. Watch to see how fast the acid is sinking when you add it and adjust as necessary.[7]
  • Tilt the jug low over the water when you pour it in. It reduces any splashing and if the jug slips out of your hand it all falls into the water.
  • Use the handle of your pool brush to stir the water after adding acid or you can brush the walls in that area. That prevents any damage that can happen if the acid sunk to the bottom of the pool.

From Acid - Further Reading
  • Never pour muriatic acid into a measuring cup; open the jug, float it in the pool, and pour right into the water. Mark jugs with 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 lines from a stick calibrated once with water, then use that to control how much you put in. It doesn't usually have to be exact.
  • Pour acid slowly into the water. Acid is heavier then water and the faster you pour acid, more of the acid will sink to the bottom of the pool. With a slow pour over a return, more of the acid gets distributed through the water column. Watch to see how fast the acid is sinking when you add it and adjust as necessary.[7]
  • Tilt the jug low over the water when you pour it in. It reduces any splashing and if the jug slips out of your hand it all falls into the water.
  • Use the handle of your pool brush to stir the water after adding acid or you can brush the walls in that area. That prevents any damage that can happen if the acid sunk to the bottom of the pool.
Thanks you again!

Reactions: mknauss
I’m full of questions lol. So after I balance everything should I not SLAM until I get almost every leaf and twig out of my pool that I can? (Didn’t close the pool good at all this year)… Or SLAM and just keep working on removing everything?

Getting the solid organics out of the pool will quicken the time frame to a clean and sanitary pool.

Alright last question… for now😂 so I added my acid around 5pm. Do I need to wait until a full turnover of the pool until I add more? About 8 hours for my pump and pool combo. ( I’m just trying to prepare for tomorrow since these are my days off and I need to SLAM tomorrow if possible. Been cleaning tons of debris and brushing walls and floor. All while balancing pool and draining it.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.