Pool start up March 2015 - just for posterity's sake.

Heh, Vince. Thanks for sharing your story, here. I'll probably be incorporating several of your lessons learned in my next build (although that won't be for a while). Congratulations on the wood frame. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought it was possible. :)

Uncovered pool March 28, 2020 amid coronavirus self-quarantine. Much muck, mostly spent pollen buds but a good number of leaves. Will need to rig cover better at end of this season. Took 3 packages of di-chlor and 1 gallon 10% bleach to turn water from brown-green to calcium hypochlorite cloudy white. Main Intex pump that came with sand filter died over the winter. Picked up 3 Intex pump / cartridge filter combos super cheap, not realizing they were half as powerful. Even in tandem, meaning one before sand filter and another one after it, but before two SWG units, just not enough flow to keep SWGs happy, so disconnected 1 SWG. Still not much flow. Definitely not enough suction for vacuuming efficiently. Will have to buy a non-Intex pump (maybe 1 hp?) and do conversions to Intex threads.

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Covered October 15, 2022. Glued PVC frame together and added more legs. Didn't use pool much this summer. Got in it mostly just to clean it. Not once did I go to Elks pool. This was Verado summer. The Iwaki pump from aquarium and the two speed pump have gotten loud. Will have to find a pump repair place to inspect and service.

Reactions: kimkats
Last weekend I tried to start the system to let it run for a week before uncovering. Pump tripping GFCI and had rotted metal on bottom. Motor seized. Bought new one plus a cartridge filter. Over the last week, added 3 bags of cal hypo and running submersible pump to circulate water. Started Iwaki, it ran quietly. Assuming I have time, I'll uncover and get it all up and running this coming weekend, May 5, assuming new pump is delivered on time.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.