Pool Start-up After drain

VargusAZ

May 29, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Good morning,
After 4 years I decided to drain the pool before the Summer start in AZ. This is my first time draining the pool. It has been empty for 3-4 days and I am ready to fill it up.
I found some old threads about this topic but some of the recommendations were confusing to me.
Any recommendations before I start filling up the pool?
Should I measure all my levels while the pool is filling up lets say at 1/3?
I have some liquid chlorine and muriatic acid but will need to buy everything else from Leslie's if needed.
Thanks

Reactions: trentdi
Correct. Get the pool filled and the pump and filter running before adding any chemicals

First results are in:
Chlorine 0 Yellow Side
pH 7.8 Red Side
FC: 0ppm solution was clear there was no need to add the R0871 to clear the solution
CC 0.5ppm
TC 0.5ppm
CH 225ppm
TA: 140
CYA: The solution was clear I never got to the point where I could not see the dot

If I understand correctly, I need to add the following tomorrow:
208oz of liquid stabilizer to bring my CYA to 40
77oz of Bleach 10% to bring my FC to 4ppm

Do these result look normal? Especially the CYA
Should I use liquid or dry stabilizer?
Anything else I should adjust?

Save some money and use dry stabilizer - add it using the sock method.
Add about 3/4 gallon of liquid chlorine - 10% - a little higher than your planned 4 FC is fine.
Check FC daily and replenish as necessary.

Use muriatic acid to lower the pH to the low 7's to start working your TA of 140 down.
As the pH rises to 7.8-7.9, add muriatic acid to lower the pH to low 7's to continue working TA down to about 60.

No need to add calcium as high evaporation in AZ will bring the CH up as you add water.

Reactions: VargusAZ
Save some money and use dry stabilizer - add it using the sock method.
Add about 3/4 gallon of liquid chlorine - 10% - a little higher than your planned 4 FC is fine.
Check FC daily and replenish as necessary.

Use muriatic acid to lower the pH to the low 7's to start working your TA of 140 down.
As the pH rises to 7.8-7.9, add muriatic acid to lower the pH to low 7's to continue working TA down to about 60.

No need to add calcium as high evaporation in AZ will bring the CH up as you add water.
Thank you, Do you have any recommendations on the brand or specifics for the dry stabilizer?
I can purchase it from Leslie's pool tomorrow or order it on amazon prime: Amazon.com
Thank you!

I purchased 2 as I need 5 pounds, but I'm a little worried by the clorox brand since the CYA was one of my issues before I emptied the pool, if you think I shouldn't use the clorox dry stabilizer let me know! I only bought it since it will arrive soon and I can return it.
Thank you

I purchased 2 as I need 5 pounds, but I'm a little worried by the clorox brand since the CYA was one of my issues before I emptied the pool, if you think I shouldn't use the clorox dry stabilizer let me know! I only bought it since it will arrive soon and I can return it.
Thank you
Clorox dry stabilizer is fine.

Do not add it all in one dose. Sneak up on your desired CYA level. Add 2/3 of the calculated dose and then wait a few days for it to dissolve and circulate. Do not be in a hurry to get to the recommended level or you are likely to overshoot. Add a few small doses to get there.

Reactions: VargusAZ

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Clorox branded dry stabilizer is fine.
Check if Walmart has it - probably cheaper than Leslies.

Amazon also has it, but you won't get it until Sunday at the earliest.
Several members have used the Puri-Tech brand from Amazon as well.

The Clorox branded dry stabilizer is fine.
Check if Walmart has it - probably cheaper than Leslies.

Amazon also has it, but you won't get it until Sunday at the earliest.
Several members have used the Puri-Tech brand from Amazon as well.
I dissolved 3lbs of Clorox branded dry stabilizer over a 48h period, and my CYA is not even at 20 yet?!
I will add more stabilizers tomorrow.

Quick question: If the CYA helps to protect your chlorine why does it take more liquid chlorine to increase my ppm if I have more CYA?
For example for a CYA of 40 I need 86oz of chlorine to raise my FC by 5ppm vs only 65oz with a CYA of 20.
Does this make sense?
Thanks

I dissolved 3lbs of Clorox branded dry stabilizer over a 48h period, and my CYA is not even at 20 yet?!
I will add more stabilizers tomorrow.

Quick question: If the CYA helps to protect your chlorine why does it take more liquid chlorine to increase my ppm if I have more CYA?

Give the CYA more time to dissolve and show in the test…

IMG_1162.png
For example for a CYA of 40 I need 86oz of chlorine to raise my FC by 5ppm vs only 65oz with a CYA of 20.
Does this make sense?
Nope. Where did you get that from?

What % chlorine?

IMG_1164.pngIMG_1163.png

I must be missing something, I used the pool app to determine how much Bleach I need to increase the FC from .5ppm to 6ppm.
I tried it with a CYA level of 40 and 80 and it appears that with more CYA I need more Bleach?!
Sew attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-194951.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216-194951.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240216-195030.jpg
    Screenshot_20240216-195030.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 9
I see the data is really old. Can you put in a full set of current test results and then repeat?

FC 2ppm
CC 0
pH 7.2 I just lowered it with some Muriatic acid
TA 140
CH 225
CYA 20
Water temperature: I need to buy a thermometer

I am curious to know how my measures will impact how the pool app calculates the amount of Bleach needed.
Fyi, I have the free version and have not entered my results in recent months.

Side note, looks like my valves (not sure of that's what ot is called) to open different outputs are leaking, any thoughts, I can open a new thread.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240217_115906.jpg
    20240217_115906.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 6

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.