pool/solar shower, petaluma ca.

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
I decided to put a shower in by my pool to rinse off if needed. After mulling the design over and looking on here I came up with something that may work. I built a 6" dia schd 40 "tank" x 84" long. This is mounted inside a 8" dia steel pipe which is anchored into the ground. The 8" pipe is filled with water to help conduct the heat from the sun shining on the steel pipe to water in the 6" tank. My theory is the water in the 8" pipe will warm in the sun heating the 6" tank, when the shower chain is pulled, cold water will come in at the bottom, mixing and forcing the warmer water out at the top. I think this will give me a minute or two of a warm shower. Even when the water has cooled there will still be a +- 1" layer of hot water surrounding the tank to start rewarming the new water. I'll post some pics later. I still hav'nt recieved the rain showerhead and valve but will have the rest done today.

Attachments

• pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 017 (Large).jpg
    pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 017 (Large).jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 244
here are the parts nearly ready to be assembled.

Attachments

• pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 018 (Large).jpg
    pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 018 (Large).jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 243
  • pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 019 (Large).jpg
    pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 019 (Large).jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 242
  • pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 020 (Large).jpg
    pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 020 (Large).jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 243
an after thought- and looks like yours would be easy with the piece of hose- anyone copying your design may need to put a drain in to prevent freezing damage; maybe not an issue in petaluma, but others will need one.

madwil said:
an after thought- and looks like yours would be easy with the piece of hose- anyone copying your design may need to put a drain in to prevent freezing damage; maybe not an issue in petaluma, but others will need one.

Even here we prob have maybee 5 nights per winter that get cold enough to possibly cause damage. The hose will be dissconnected in winter.

I doubt anyone will copy this one though.

final pics. I am going to make a metal roof, approx 24" square, but that will take a while longer.

Attachments

• pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 024 (Large).jpg
    pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 024 (Large).jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 169
  • pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 025 (Large).jpg
    pool & shower 4-25 thru 5-8 025 (Large).jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 168

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When the temp gets into the 80"s for the day there will be at least 5 min of 90 + water, since the pools only about 85, feels really warm. The shower head helps limit the flow so it lasts a while. If the temps only are in the 70's not so good. The "outer layer" of water between the pvc & metal evaporates slowly and I've refilled it twice but it was prob only about 12" low, havn't checked in a while. I did also put a little chlorine in there to keep any mosquito's dead if they were trying to reproduce.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.