Pool slide removal... should it stay or should it go, and how?

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We've had a pool slide that we've never used due to the lower runway being broken (interfab wild ride), and not being in budget to replace with new.

Now we're considering just removing the whole thing. I guess I'm wondering what to do about the plumbing? removing the leg bolts in the deck isn't really a big deal, but the water supply pipe comes up right in the middle of the deck. the most conservative way to manage this seems to be disconnecting the flexible water supply line, coiling it up, and I guess covering the PVC and flex pipe with some kind of decorative cover or box. That might preserve the ability to add a slide again (but this is highly unlikely). We could also cut the flex pipe and just leave the stub with the ball valve sticking up, and cover that with some kind of hazard reduction object (maybe put a decorative planter beside it?). If we wanted to cut it flush with the deck, what would be the best way to do that an cap the line? We're not removing the line to the slide, but we probably will when we rehab the equipment pad here in the next 5 years or so.

The upside of removing the slide entirely and not planning to replace is that I think it will open an auxiliary spot in our aqualink RS8 to allow us to program a spillover, instead of manually putting it in spillover mode to circulate the spa in to the pool.

IMG_7876 by Carrie, on Flickr

IMG_7877 by Carrie, on Flickr

We've had a pool slide that we've never used due to the lower runway being broken (interfab wild ride), and not being in budget to replace with new.

Now we're considering just removing the whole thing. I guess I'm wondering what to do about the plumbing? removing the leg bolts in the deck isn't really a big deal, but the water supply pipe comes up right in the middle of the deck. the most conservative way to manage this seems to be disconnecting the flexible water supply line, coiling it up, and I guess covering the PVC and flex pipe with some kind of decorative cover or box. That might preserve the ability to add a slide again (but this is highly unlikely). We could also cut the flex pipe and just leave the stub with the ball valve sticking up, and cover that with some kind of hazard reduction object (maybe put a decorative planter beside it?). If we wanted to cut it flush with the deck, what would be the best way to do that an cap the line? We're not removing the line to the slide, but we probably will when we rehab the equipment pad here in the next 5 years or so.

The upside of removing the slide entirely and not planning to replace is that I think it will open an auxiliary spot in our aqualink RS8 to allow us to program a spillover, instead of manually putting it in spillover mode to circulate the spa in to the pool.

IMG_7876 by Carrie, on Flickr

IMG_7877 by Carrie, on Flickr
Disconnect and cap the other end of the water supply at the equipment. If you're sure you are never going to replace the slide, cut the pipe flush with the deck at both where the slide is and the equipment. You can then either leave as is or fill with a cement product like hydraulic cement, which sets very quickly. Push a plastic bag, a wad of paper, etc., into the pipe about 2-3" so the cement will stop flowing down the pipe and smooth it off at the level of the deck. If you can remove the anchors for the legs you can do the same, or just remove the bolts and fill. You don't want to leave the holes open and they are probably not deep enough for an umbrella.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.