ttlkurtis

Oct 23, 2023
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Now that it's starting to get warmer here in San Antonio, our pool is just DRINKING bleach like crazy, and I'm wondering if that's normal or I should be supplementing for chlorine levels? Our pool techs that we fired in the past just added the same stuff every week without measuring levels and we had to drain and refill our pool because the CYA was so high, and I'm trying to avoid those levels creeping up by using chlorine pucks, etc...

I added 3 jugs of bleach to my pool earlier this week and I just checked chlorine levels and they were at 0 today. Before it started getting hot out, I was adding like half a jug of bleach to the pool each week. Just curious what other folks' experience is and whether this is normal to need to keep adding more bleach throughout the week and whether there's a most cost-effective method. Adding 5-6 jugs of bleach a week is going to be like $120 per month just in bleach alone.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / tips / tricks! :)

CYA has been steady at 40 since I drained/re-filled and got everything back into recommended target ranges per Pool Math app.

TA is 80, CH is 400, pH is currently 8.0 (need to pick up some more muriatic acid).

According to your logs, you're not adding LC often enough, plus you're using weak 7.5% LC (laundry bleach, perhaps?). Can you find any 12.5% or at least 10%?

I would do an OCLT to check and see if you have algae brewing. By looking at your pool math logs, I see lots of 0's and not close to your target FC level of 5-7.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I would do an OCLT to check and see if you have algae brewing. By looking at your pool math logs, I see lots of 0's and not close to your target FC level of 5-7.
Yeah all those 0s are from when I measure and then I add everything it suggests. Am I supposed to do another measurement later in the day and log the results after chemicals were added and had time to mix in the pool water?

Just read up on OCLT here - I definitely have algae forming so "SLAMing" is needed. That's basically just maintaining a high level of chlorine, yeah?

And yes, I'm having to brush the walls a lot because algae is trying to do its thing and I'm trying to stay on top of that, which is when I started thinking I need to be adding more chlorine multiple times a week potentially instead of once weekly.

Last edited:
According to your logs, you're not adding LC often enough, plus you're using weak 7.5% LC (laundry bleach, perhaps?). Can you find any 12.5% or at least 10%?
The things I read said to just use regular household bleach from grocery store or hardware store, so that's what I've been doing, haven't looked for higher concentration. I'll do a little googling and see where I can get 12.5% from. Any particular suggestions on source / brand / quantity and price point?

Amazon has a 640oz container for $130. $32 for 128oz.

No particular brands. Look for 10% or 12.5% wherever you can get it nearby and you won't have to lug as many jugs.

EDIT: Hardware stores and pool stores have it. You don't want to buy too much at once because it deteriorates over time.

The things I read said to just use regular household bleach from grocery store or hardware store, so that's what I've been doing, haven't looked for higher concentration. I'll do a little googling and see where I can get 12.5% from. Any particular suggestions on source / brand / quantity and price point?

Amazon has a 640oz container for $130. $32 for 128oz.
You have to be super careful with houshold bleach. Almost all of it has fabric softeners, perfumes, etc. You should only be using plain bleach.

Its better to use the bleach labeled as “chlorinatong liquid”.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nothing wrong with using plain bleach. I buy cases of 6% at the local restaurant supply. All fresh with recent dates. It's all they have but no additives nor splash less. Been chlorinating with it for 10 years. Never had any algae issues, I test daily in the summer.

I have noticed lately that most of the local grocery stores only carry splash less or scented bleached. Definitely avoid as stated above.

Reactions: Newdude
Yeah all those 0s are from when I measure and then I add everything it suggests. Am I supposed to do another measurement later in the day and log the results after chemicals were added and had time to mix in the pool water?

Just read up on OCLT here - I definitely have algae forming so "SLAMing" is needed. That's basically just maintaining a high level of chlorine, yeah?

And yes, I'm having to brush the walls a lot because algae is trying to do its thing and I'm trying to stay on top of that, which is when I started thinking I need to be adding more chlorine multiple times a week potentially instead of once weekly.
I think the main thing you are missing is frequency of testing and adding chlorine so that you are always above the minimum. At a CYA of 40, you should never ever ever get below the minimum of 3. Ideally your pool consistently has FC in the target range of 5-7, but its totally fine to go a higher when adding chlorine and letting it drift down to the target range.

If you are letting it go to zero you are spending a lot of time below FC of 3 and during that time algae can start to form and eat up chlorine even faster.

Take a look at the chart below to get a better understanding of the FC/CYA relationship.

But, now we know why you have algae forming, you need to ignore the minimum and target ranges and go straight to the SLAM process which is raising your FC to 16 and keeping it there by testing and adding multiple times a day, until your algae is completely dead and gone. That process takes several days or even weeks depending on how much algae you have.

The full SLAM process is below. Think of it as a prescription that should be followed to a T. Once you are done with the SLAM you can refer to the chart and figure out how you keep your chlorine at the appropriate levels so you never have algae again.

1714692009456.png

The things I read said to just use regular household bleach from grocery store or hardware store, so that's what I've been doing, haven't looked for higher concentration.
Are there specific places on the TFP site that say this? If so, please provide a link to them if possible.

Many times there are better alternatives. Walmart usually stocks Pool Essentials liquid chlorine (10% for under $6/gallon usually). There may be other suppliers in the San Antonio area as well that members can point you to.

Reactions: m_cat12
You have to be super careful with houshold bleach. Almost all of it has fabric softeners, perfumes, etc. You should only be using plain bleach.

Its better to use the bleach labeled as “chlorinatong liquid”.
I've been careful to only get the plain bleach, not just whatever we might have had on-hand.

Now that I'm reading more and it looks like this is something I need to be testing and balancing on a daily basis (at least here in Texas where it's so hot), I'm wondering if I should be looking into a SWG system. Read up on it a little here, but it's not super clear which models I should consider or how to properly install them. We have a variable pump on a schedule and a dolphin cleaner on a schedule, but no other automation beyond that.

Is the cost of these systems somewhere in the ballpark of $1,200 or is that only a small part of the equation? Once it's setup properly do I legit not really need to worry about chlorine levels?

Are there specific places on the TFP site that say this? If so, please provide a link to them if possible.

Many times there are better alternatives. Walmart usually stocks Pool Essentials liquid chlorine (10% for under $6/gallon usually). There may be other suppliers in the San Antonio area as well that members can point you to.
This is what I was referring to, for reference. Basically lower strength is more shelf-stable (not that I'm keeping it around for 6 months) and easier to find: TFP Recommended Pool Chemicals - Chlorine

I think the main thing you are missing is frequency of testing and adding chlorine so that you are always above the minimum. At a CYA of 40, you should never ever ever get below the minimum of 3. Ideally your pool consistently has FC in the target range of 5-7, but its totally fine to go a higher when adding chlorine and letting it drift down to the target range.

If you are letting it go to zero you are spending a lot of time below FC of 3 and during that time algae can start to form and eat up chlorine even faster.

Take a look at the chart below to get a better understanding of the FC/CYA relationship.

But, now we know why you have algae forming, you need to ignore the minimum and target ranges and go straight to the SLAM process which is raising your FC to 16 and keeping it there by testing and adding multiple times a day, until your algae is completely dead and gone. That process takes several days or even weeks depending on how much algae you have.

The full SLAM process is below. Think of it as a prescription that should be followed to a T. Once you are done with the SLAM you can refer to the chart and figure out how you keep your chlorine at the appropriate levels so you never have algae again.

View attachment 569716
Incredibly helpful post, thank you! Saving that image to my favorites on my phone. :)

Reactions: borjis and JJ_Tex

The stickied TFPC for beginners post is one place that only mentions household bleach.

This is what I was referring to, for reference. Basically lower strength is more shelf-stable (not that I'm keeping it around for 6 months) and easier to find: TFP Recommended Pool Chemicals - Chlorine
Thanks!

If you can store 4 gallons or so of the higher strength liquid chlorine inside in maybe the laundry room, that would be ideal.
Before I installed my SWG, I stacked 2 crates of 4 gallons each liquid chlorine in the laundry room.
Whatever you do - do NOT store muriatic acid indoors, even in the garage. The off-gassing of fumes will rust nearby metal. Best to keep muriatic acid stored outdoors - in a separate enclosed area. Some use a plastic trashcan or small plastic deck box away from the pool area.

A 22k pool in San Antonio may need one gallon or more of 10% chlorine DAILY in summer.
Seriously consider a SWG - one at least 2 times your pool volume.

Tell us a bit more about your pool by filling out your signature. Include pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
Pool only or pool/spa combo? Automation? Include it all in your signature so we don't need to ask you each time.

Thanks!

If you can store 4 gallons or so of the higher strength liquid chlorine inside in maybe the laundry room, that would be ideal.
Before I installed my SWG, I stacked 2 crates of 4 gallons each liquid chlorine in the laundry room.
Whatever you do - do NOT store muriatic acid indoors, even in the garage. The off-gassing of fumes will rust nearby metal. Best to keep muriatic acid stored outdoors - in a separate enclosed area. Some use a plastic trashcan or small plastic deck box away from the pool area.

A 22k pool in San Antonio may need one gallon or more of 10% chlorine DAILY in summer.
Seriously consider a SWG - one at least 2 times your pool volume.

Tell us a bit more about your pool by filling out your signature. Include pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
Pool only or pool/spa combo? Automation? Include it all in your signature so we don't need to ask you each time.
I just added details to my signature :)

Good info about the muriatic acid, I had a little bit that I stored in our casita, but I'll change to storing that outside somewhere, we have a covered patio around the side of the house. I should keep it inside a plastic bin, though?

Yeah it sounds like a SWG is definitely worth consideration. Would love any pointers you can give!

.Is the cost of these systems somewhere in the ballpark of $1,200 or is that only a small part of the equation? Once it's setup properly do I legit not really need to worry about chlorine levels?
If you have a pool, you will always have to worry about chlorine levels. Just a fact of life. A SWCG is the easiest option though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support