Pool RX??!!

Mar 29, 2017
Canada,Ontario,Barrie
Hi all

Me again. I'm kinda confused in regard to a product called POOL RX. I've been following a pool dude from youtube before I joined this group. He strongly recommended that. So I bought one. Same with the test kit. Only after I joined here. It seems like is STRONGLY NOT RECOMMENDED here. Can Someone please spare some time to explain to me why pool RX is bad for our pool??

Thanks in advance

I'm not a moderator but I think they may say that a TFP doesn't have algae so there is no need for an algaecide. More unneeded chemicals in the water is not part of the program.
In my neighborhood, it's just CYA, Chlorine and occasional Muriatic Acid.... period.

Copper is great at preventing algae at high enough level, which is probably why YouTube guy suggested it. Unfortunately it also causes staining and green hair while doing nothing to sanitize the pool, which is a bit more important than algae.

Proper FC levels in relation to CYA levels prevent algae while also maintaining a safe and sanitary pool without causing staining. That is why TFP does not recommend such metals being used in water. We get enough people coming to the site looking for help in removing stains from their finish, why would we recommend others to put themselves in that situation?

Fairly new here myself. I've followed the TFP recommendations and have a crystal clear (you can see what kind of screws are used on my main drains from the surface) and stable pool. I tried the chemical cocktails prior to that (in our first new-to-us pool and luckily for only a short time before finding TFP) with only a lot of money wasted and mediocre water quality. TFP works.

Good grief I sound like a fanboy...

Reactions: sfaille
Aside form the staining and green hair issues when copper gets too high, I'm a believer that algae is a warning sign. The copper will kill algae, but it will not kill pathogens that make us sick. You can have a perfectly algae free pool that is unsafe to swim in.

Now, take the copper away. If algae forms you know you have a problem to deal with.

To have a safe pool you always need to have a residual level of sanitizer in the water. Chlorine is that sanitizer.

Aside form the staining and green hair issues when copper gets too high, I'm a believer that algae is a warning sign. The copper will kill algae, but it will not kill pathogens that make us sick. You can have a perfectly algae free pool that is unsafe to swim in.

Now, take the copper away. If algae forms you know you have a problem to deal with.

To have a safe pool you always need to have a residual level of sanitizer in the water. Chlorine is that sanitizer.

+1

The algae is like a canary in a coal mine.

Proper sanitizer (chlorine) levels take care of algae, bacteria & pathogens. Copper is just an algaecide, it is not a sanitizer.

The product marketing claims that you can reduce by 50% the level of chlorine you need to maintain in your pool. It would stand to reason that 50% of the normal required chlorine is needed to fight algae and the rest is needed for sanitization. Does this make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doesn't work like that, the level of clorine need to kill pathogens is lower than needed to kill algae, so in theory you would only need to keep enough fc to kill pathogens and no more. If no algae ever grows how do you know it's clean water with minimal clorine upkeep. Pass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.