Pool rocks deteriorating

cjpfaff

Dec 29, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Hey all!
Wasnt sure what forum to post this in... but here we are!

I have a pool, a bit older, 20 years old or so, and at the time it was created, it seemed the industry really loved these decorative boulders. They are all around my pool, and my waterfall/slide feature is made of the stuff.

Unfortunately, water erodes rock. And these seem to erode at a frightening level. Underneath the waterfall and in key areas, sediment builds up alot, and the debris starts to hinder pop ups.

I am planning on draining and replacing popups... so my question:
Is there a product that can be used to "seal" these boulders and water features to prevent the erosion? Or slow it down?

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpg
    IMG_3107.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3108.jpg
    IMG_3108.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 35
Those are sedimentary river rock. They will dissolve when water is run over them. I doubt any sealer will work, but if you wish, try it on some you cannot see to see what happens.

Best is to discontinue running water through them. Sorry.

I've had good results sealing cement brick walls to help repel water to keep dry looking during a hard rain, but for stone, it's a good rule that whatever sealer seals out, it also seals in, making anything that develops under it that much harder to get at.

Those are sedimentary river rock. They will dissolve when water is run over them. I doubt any sealer will work, but if you wish, try it on some you cannot see to see what happens.

Best is to discontinue running water through them. Sorry.
My hope would to just seal off where the water actively runs over to reduce erosion.

Eventually I will have it all removed... but the quote i got was 60k to demo all the boulders, new pebbletec, bunch of other stuff as well... but the project will have to wait.

I've had good results sealing cement brick walls to help repel water to keep dry looking during a hard rain, but for stone, it's a good rule that whatever sealer seals out, it also seals in, making anything that develops under it that much harder to get at.

What about just using a sealer over the areas where the water actively runs over to prevent just that from eroding?

What about just using a sealer over the areas where the water actively runs over to prevent just that from eroding?
Probably worth a try if all coming down one day anyway. The issue we get here with porous stone is also mold, and that stone will hold moisture, always. If an area can't surface dry, you might see mold crop up, or, maybe not. Those boulders are still popular here for pools, and one neighbor gets the same issue you have with the scale on a 2-year old pool. He blames acid he adds. Maybe, maybe not. Another neighbor just finished a pool with almost that exact same slide you have, but theirs is too early to tell on issue.

Probably worth a try if all coming down one day anyway. The issue we get here with porous stone is also mold, and that stone will hold moisture, always. If an area can't surface dry, you might see mold crop up, or, maybe not. Those boulders are still popular here for pools, and one neighbor gets the same issue you have with the scale on a 2-year old pool. He blames acid he adds. Maybe, maybe not. Another neighbor just finished a pool with almost that exact same slide you have, but theirs is too early to tell on issue.
Appreciate the input! This is in near all day every day Arizona sunshine.. so maybe less concern on mold.

I will give it a shot!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.