Pool ring back with a vengeance

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I cleaned my nasty 5 year old pool ring with a mixture of pool water and some acid (5:1) and the part I did worked well, it went away after a few squirts and light elbow grease, but going back a couple hours later, the ring is back and a brighter white. Pic shows the old ring that I haven't touched and the brighter and whiter new ring. What's going on with this? Do I just need to repeat my steps? FYI I'm keeping my CSI in check, this has been an old issue never fixed before.

I'm in PHX too and have the same problem. I cleaned my tile only to have a worse ring come back. I did a post about this but didn't get any answers aside from maintaining CSI going forward.

I suspect that the calcium that was cleaned off all reattached at one time. I'm not sure but I think you can use a sequestrant to pickup the calcium that is dislodged during cleaning. I haven't tried this but maybe someone can comment on this idea or the cause of this issue.

I'm in PHX too and have the same problem. I cleaned my tile only to have a worse ring come back. I did a post about this but didn't get any answers aside from maintaining CSI going forward.

I suspect that the calcium that was cleaned off all reattached at one time. I'm not sure but I think you can use a sequestrant to pickup the calcium that is dislodged during cleaning. I haven't tried this but maybe someone can comment on this idea or the cause of this issue.

What's weird is that later in the day the line seemed to have mostly disappeared again and it was the same way this morning.
333e708808af98a952d715c6f3a7b589.jpg

One theory could be that when cleaning the tile, calcium is dislodged from a couple inches of tile (from slight waterline changes over time). This calcium could then reattach all at the present waterline, making the scale worse and more concentrated in one place.

Im guessing it may be best to clean tile when water is somewhat aggressive to ensure dislodged calcium is re-absorbed into the water and not easily reattached.

I'm an amateur, but this caught my interest. I can't say what I've done or used will work for you guys, but maybe something will trigger a new idea that helps.

Fyi: my tap water is about 75 CH, so very low. My waterline tile is a beige stone-look porcelain in a matte finish. So I'm not as worried about scratches as on a shiny finish.

The first year of my pool I had almost no scale. I didn't pay much attention to the CSI. Then a year ago I did, and kept it between - 0.3 and 0. I noticed over the winter scale was building, but I didn't think it was much. And I wasn't as much in the pool groove then. Now I'm keeping my CSI between -0.6 and -0.3. Still in the range, but the lower end. After a lot of hard scrubbing, I'm not seeing any return of the scale - so far. I think the lower CSI is helping.

By the time I started swimming, the scale was pretty bad. I used MA straight from the bottle and a soft brush without much success. Then I got a much tougher scrub brush and used CLR. After that, I used Bar Keeper's Friend powder (aka Bonnie Ami). I can't say one worked better than the other, but I suspect it was a combination of the 2 (maybe all 3)and a lot of elbow grease.

I don't think my scale was as heavy as yours, but it's hard to say with my lighter tile. Oh, and I always had to wait for the tile to dry good before I could see if there was any progress. It always looked 'gone' as I was scrubbing and for a while afterwards.

I hope you find some fix. I love your tile, and the water color is gorgeous. They are beautiful together!

Good luck,
Suz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.