Pool return jet only emits bubbles. The pump is unable to suction water from the skimmer opening and into the filter.

Poolenthused

Dec 17, 2023
Los Angeles
Pool return jet only emits bubbles. The pump is unable to suction water from the skimmer opening and into the filter. If the filter cannot be filled then how can the air escape?
Can a hose be used to push water through the skimmer opening and into the pump to thereby fill the filter?
I checked for any obstruction between the pool pump and the skimmer by forcing water through a hose, as well verified that the impeller is free of any obstruction, and that the o-ring in the pool pump basket is without wear.
This started happening after I vacuumed the pool. Perhaps too much air got into the system when water did not push the remaining air out of the hose.
After cleaning the filter, the pool pump worked momentarily in a normal way by filling the filter with water it suctioned and forcing water through the return jets. But after I closed the lid of the filter and restarted the pump on the following day the same lack of suction problem existed. Here is a link
to a video.

Last edited:
Can a hose be used to push water through the skimmer opening and into the pump to thereby fill the filter?
You can try. If that doesn't work, double check any valves before the pump to ensure they are in the correct position. If you are still having problems, post some pics of your pool and equipment pad so we can see everything and we'll go from there.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Pool return jet only emits bubbles. The pump is unable to suction water from the skimmer opening and into the filter. If the filter cannot be filled then how can the air escape?
I checked for any obstruction between the pool pump and the skimmer by forcing water through a hose, as well verified that the impeller is free of any obstruction, and that the o-ring in the pool pump basket is without wear.
This started happening after I vacuumed the pool. Perhaps too much air got into the system when water did not push the remaining air out of the hose.
After cleaning the filter, the pool pump worked momentarily in a normal way by filling the filter with water it suctioned and forcing water through the return jets. But after I closed the lid of the filter and restarted the pump on the following day the same lack of suction problem existed.
Are you vacuuming through the skimmer? Any chance something get sucked into the plumbing between skimmer and pump?

It does appear there is a blockage in the suction pipe of the skimmer. Do you have a main drain or just a skimmer?
Even though you are able to push water from skimmer to the pump with a hose, that does not rule out a partial blockage of leaves, debris, etc. The pump suction is quite a bit and if a partial blockage then it will not have sufficient flow to support the pump.

Alternatively if a valve is closed or partially closed, it would have the same effect. Also, is your skimmer weir door working properly?

Does the skimmer basket stay full of water when the pump is trying to prime?

Did you run the pump when you have the hose in the skimmer?

If water can travel through a filter, so can air. Also, there is usually an air bypass tube within the filter that allows air to escape faster.

Unnecessary because if the pump is pumping water, it will push the air out of the filter.

If the suction line is not clogged, then it could be a clogged impeller inlet (at the bottom of the pump basket) or a clogged impeller which will require removing the wet end from the motor.

After cleaning the filter, the pool pump worked momentarily in a normal way by filling the filter with water it suctioned and forcing water through the return jets. But after I closed the lid of the filter and restarted the pump on the following day the same lack of suction problem existed.
The debris in the pump may have moved around some. But what did you mean by "I closed the lid of the filter". A pump will not prime if the pump basket or filter is not closed. Or was this after cleaning it out?

Are you vacuuming through the skimmer? Any chance something get sucked into the plumbing between skimmer and pump?
I vacuumed through the skimmer, but when I last vacuumed, just before the pump started having a problem, it took 10 to 20 seconds before the vacuum started to have enough suction pressure to pick anything up. Perhaps there is too much air in the system, as when the hose was connected not all the air pockets were pushed out.

If water can travel through a filter, so can air. Also, there is usually an air bypass tube within the filter that allows air to escape faster.

Unnecessary because if the pump is pumping water, it will push the air out of the filter.

If the suction line is not clogged, then it could be a clogged impeller inlet (at the bottom of the pump basket) or a clogged impeller which will require removing the wet end from the motor.

The debris in the pump may have moved around some. But what did you mean by "I closed the lid of the filter". A pump will not prime if the pump basket or filter is not closed. Or was this after cleaning it out?
I have a Pentair Whisperflo, which I opened to verify that the impeller and the part attached to it are free of any obstructions. I closed the lid of the Pentair 2000 series filter by gaining suction pressure from the tank after I turned off the the pump when it overflowed the filter. Somehow the pump was able to gain the suction necessary to push the water into the filter, but it has not happened again.

Any signs that flex PVC or piping other then schedule 40 PVC was used on your pool?

I have a Pentair Whisperflo, which I opened to verify that the impeller and the part attached to it are free of any obstructions.
If you only checked the bottom of the pump basket, that is not enough. You have to remove the wet end from the motor to inspect the impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.