Pool return in spa?

etuser

Mar 28, 2020
Houston
First, thanks to everyone here for always being so quick and helpful with responses! I just moved into a new home and am working on bringing a neglected pool back to life.

I just learned that there is a pool return that goes to the spa that is separate from the spa returns. So it appears that short of capping that return, there is no way to not have the spa spillover into to the pool.

Why would it have been plumbed this way? Is that common? Is there any concern with capping or plugging that return so when I turn off the spa return, all the return water goes only to the pool?

Thanks!

et,

The spillover is the only way your spa will get any fresh chlorinated water..!!!

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad and we might be able to suggest a solution.

Your automation can control the spillover, but you have to be able to shut it off first.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. I’ll post some pics. At my prior house, I had the pool run the majority of the time, and then activated the spillway for a portion of the day to get chlorinated water into the pool.

The reason this is an issue is that when I reduce the speed of the pump, the spillover doesn’t have enough volume to look good, so I’d rather have all of none.

I see a check valve (at the arrow) that is likely your SPA makeup line. Unfortunate there doesn't seem to be any control.
You might be able to replace the tee above (the one with the "Pool Return" label) with a 3-port diverter valve, or if you have enough room to dig out the gravel a bit you might be able cut out the check valve an reinstall lower with a 2 port valve above to control the overflow.
Or you could just cut out the check-valve and cap both pipes, and use your automation to enable spillover a couple of times per day to keep the SPA water mixed with the rest of the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_5494s.jpeg
    IMG_5494s.jpeg
    626.4 KB · Views: 6
You are missing an actuator on your POOL/SPA Return valve to automate your spa and spillover.

I see one at the other end on your POOL/SPA Suction diverter.

If that check valve goes to your spa the CV can be removed and replaced by a 2-way diverter to turn it on and off. No need to cut anything out. The housings are the same and you swap the guts.

First you need to get your actuators working on your IntelliTouch system.

et,

I hate to be a whinner, but your pic does not show what I need to see..

Could just be me, but I can only see one automated valve and when you have a spa and automation, you need an automated valve on your main pump intake line and an automated valve on your Return line.

It appears to be pretty tight, but I need to see things from other side and the more pics the better.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks to you both. Yes, there is an actuator for the other valve but it was binding. I took it apart and the main gear is shot. Thought about rebuilding but just ordered a new one and it will be here tonight.

I don’t think there is a way to isolate the one return valve from the poorly that returns to the spa without digging out plumbing. Is there any harm in just plugging the line with a cap on the return in the spa? And then as you mention, run the spillway for a little while in the morning and at night to mix water?

et,

If this were my pool, I'd just replace the check valve, that Flyn pointed out with a red arrow, with the guts from a standard two way Jandy valve. This would allow you to just shut off or adjust the amount of water going to the spillover.

Then I'd setup the Spillway mode on your automation and schedule it to run twice a day for 30 minutes or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
et,

I do not know for sure that Pentair and Jandy "guts" are interchangeable.. If you have Pentair valves then I'd get Pentair parts.

And yes.. the line with the check valve should be the line that adds water to the spa, when you are in the pool mode... The check valve prevents the spa water from draining back into the pool when the main pool pump is off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Replacing the guts of the check valve with a standard valve would be an effective means to shut the line off entirely without actually modifying the plumbing.

However without a check valve in the line if that makeup line valve is left open after the pump shuts off then the spa will drain back to the pool (assuming it is higher) until its water level is the same as the pool, or the level of that return line wherever is whichever is higher.

It might be possible to add a actuator to converted makeup line valve, and the automation configured to use it for "spilover" instead of the main SPA return.

@flynwill

The OP has an IntelliTouch which will use the Intake and Return valves to make the spa spillover.

The idea to replace the check valve is just what you said.. No plumbing would have to be modified to shut off the constant spillover. To use the automation's spillover you first have to shut off the constant spillover.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: proavia
But if the OP opens the valve that replaces the check valve and then the pump shuts down won't he have the problem of the SPA draining back into the pool?

No reason to ever open that valve and cause that problem one the SPILLOVER mode is working.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.