Pool renovation in Austin TX - choosing a builder!

JazzyMango

Mar 11, 2023
Central TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum and to construction projects so this is all a bit daunting!

We have a dated in ground 19k gallon 22x12 freeform gunite pool. Currently it has a fiber tech surface that's chipping, dated and chipping tile, and bullnose concrete coping surrounded by koolcote decking, both very beige. Some of the decking has cracked and fallen so it may need to be repoured.

We want to renovate it to resurface with something pebble or quartz - one of the concrete blends, new modern tile, thinking lueders coping, stamped concrete on the deck.

Overall not too complicated but I big deal for us! We are looking at cody pools, Texas Pool Services, pool lux, poolscapes, and I have a few more info forms in but I'm really only getting about a 50% response rate for quote requests. I care about I think the usual things : quality, attention to detail, responsiveness... followed by timing and cost.

Calling anyone who has done a pool reno in Austin : please share your wisdom!

Thank you thank you everyone. I am excited and terrified.

Good morning and welcome to TFP! :wave: As you can imagine, we have lots of members from the Austin and surrounding areas. Feel free to follow this thread and post back as much as needed to help encourage replies. Link below if it helps. Let us know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Texas Pools & Patios and Denali Pools was on a list I found recently in a Austin area forum. I have no experience with either but those are some different options than you listed.

Texas Pools & Patios and Denali Pools was on a list I found recently in a Austin area forum. I have no experience with either but those are some different options than you listed.
Thanks! I just added Texas pools and patios to my list. I've heard some fairly negative reviews of Denali so honestly have been staying away

Currently it has a fiber tech surface that's chipping, dated and chipping tile, and bullnose concrete coping surrounded by koolcote decking, both very beige. Some of the decking has cracked and fallen so it may need to be repoured.
I am not familiar with fiber tech but ensure the contractor does a complete ship out as this ensures a good surface for the new plaster to adhere to. They should use flat tools and not pointed as that will dig into the concrete below.

With regard to new plaster - whichever you select, go to the mfg. website and ensure your contractor is an authorized installer for that plaster. You can also call the mfg. To confirm. That is only way you will be able to maintain the warranty.

If you have cracking decking, are you on sloping land? It may be best to have a structural engineer confirm the stability of your deck and pool.

You did not mention equipment. If the pool is old, has the equipment been updated or any concerns?

Thanks for the feedback and advice!

The decking is decades old, cracks are from before we owned the house. The ground had been stable for several years since we've lived here, hence looking to fix it now.

We did some equipment updates when we first moved in so all is working swimmingly (sorry, I had to!) on that front!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thanks for the feedback and advice!

The decking is decades old, cracks are from before we owned the house. The ground had been stable for several years since we've lived here, hence looking to fix it now.

We did some equipment updates when we first moved in so all is working swimmingly (sorry, I had to!) on that front!
I just finished my build about 45 days ago. I went through actual h*** trying to get responses from several local builders and even the national guys. Round Rock Pool Pros were responsive. i went through a list starting with 10 ruled down to three. I would suggest you add them to your list. I wound up using them for my build but I think they reno too.

I just finished my build about 45 days ago. I went through actual h*** trying to get responses from several local builders and even the national guys. Round Rock Pool Pros were responsive. i went through a list starting with 10 ruled down to three. I would suggest you add them to your list. I wound up using them for my build but I think they reno too.
Thanks so much! Funny you say that, they were our only response when we first tried to get quotes a year+ ago. Their office was lovely and people were helpful but they balked when I asked for references which seemed like a flag I ended up crossing them off my list 😬

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.