Pool reno concerns -- cinderblocks for steps/benches?

jmcfali

Jul 19, 2023
Southern California
Hi folks, I'm new to TFP and currently redoing my pool. Main changes are that I'm extending the steps and adding two benches in the deep end. This is what it looks like with the new steps in progress:

1690423800649.png

And here are the two corner benches:

1690423845198.png

I have a couple of questions:

1) The lines going down the wall due to the demolition of the plaster -- is this normal? Does it have to be smoothed out before applying the new surface?

2) Is it normal to use cinderblocks to "frame" steps/benches as is being done here? The empty space behind the steps is filled with debris -- old plaster that was chipped away, extra concrete from the demolition of the existing steps, etc. Want to understand if this will hold up over time.

This is my first time renovating a pool so want to make sure everything is going well...

1) unfortunately it is normal but not the best for the final outcome. You can still see plaster on the surface and it should be completely removed. They used pointed tips and not flat tips to save time and money. It’s not needed to be smooth and actually it’s required to be a rough surface so the new plaster will bond better.
2) Yes cinder blocks are commonly used for this purpose, they are non compatible and can be formed up to the desired requirements. As far as the filler being used behind the blocks it needs to be compacted so there are no voids in the filler. A concrete mixture would have been far more superior to achieve this.
The picture provided shows a pool shell that will have a superior bonding capacity due to the complete removal of all the old plaster.IMG_4240.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.