Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFPers,
Still in the marketplace to have our pool resurfaced. I have some questions with regards to the main drain and our 1 pool light.

Main drain
We have a kidney shaped pool with one main drain. Most pool contractors/companies have quoted converting the main drain to a channel drain, and only one suggested replacing the cover with a VBG compliant dome-shaped cover. The later suggested that because due to the irregular shape, a channel drain would look odd because it would not "line up" with anything. Also, if I recall correctly, I think the pool contractor stated something about my 1.5 hp VSP Hayward Maxflo may not have enough power or something for a channel drain (maybe I completely misunderstood him b/c I don't see how my pump wouldn't work with a channel drain). The other pool contractors never suggested a dome shaped VGB compliant drain cover, rather the only option was the channel drain.

I called the City of Livermore to verify a permit is needed for this remodel, and to discuss the main drain. They stated that the drain has to be VGB compliant. So, I am not sure if that means it has to be a channel drain or it could be a dome shaped VGB compliant drain cover.

My questions are:
1. Which will look better and function better... channel drain or a dome shaped VGB compliant drain cover?
2. I use a Maytronics S200 robotic cleaner, which I read could intermittently get caught up on the dome shaped cover. Can anyone substantiate this? Is this an issue enough that I should consider the channel drain instead?

Here are a couple of links of what I could find at Amazon for channel drains:
https://www.amazon.com/32CDAV101-Anti-Entrapment-Channel-Drain-3-Port/dp/B004UHF0P4/ref=sr_1_81?s=lawn-garden&srs=9479744011&ie=UTF8&qid=1516046950&sr=1-81

Amazon.com : AquaStar MoFlow 12-Inch Square Retrofit VGBA Anti-Entrapment Swimming Pool Drain Cover - R12MF101 : Garden Outdoor

As for robotic cleaner hang-ups, I had read here at TFP (Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club) that some people suggested using this cover:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SG7NQI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3HKBUXNL16LH9&colid=2YLR2FXPFHZZA&psc=1

Pool Light
We have one pool light. We pretty much never use it now, but in the future as our twins age, I anticipate swimming at night and the light being used. Thus, my wife and I would like to replace the light to a LED. The quotes I have gotten from these pool contractors/companies to replace this range from $600-900. Less for a white LED light and more for a multi-color LED light. Then, some of these contractors have stated that I could even spend more (~$300) for a multi color pool light that I can remotely control. The $900 was for a multi color LED that goes through the color spectrum but could be manually overridden by flipping the light switch up/down to stay on one color. Lately, for pool surface, we are leaning towards going with a small rock aggregate (e.g. Wet Edge Satin Matrix, Pebble Sheen, or Adam's Pool Solutions Super Mini Pebble) in a sapphire blue, which would be akin to a sky blue or light blue. We have thought just a white LED would look good, but I have considered if a few hundred more for a multi-color changing LED would look good (the $900 option).

Questions:
1. When would you go with a white LED vs. a multi colored LED light? Which one would you use in this situation?
2. Another TFPer suggested looking at INYO pools for retrofit LED lights. Perhaps I could buy what I want and the pool contractor will install it. Which lights and types would you suggest.

Here a couple pics of my current main drain, and pool light:

25838035988_12768c42bb.jpg

39000815434_2b0fc86ba3.jpg

As you see, what would a channel drain line up with?
24640036737_84563380c4.jpg

Single main drain, single pool light, with Ghostlight, my Maytronics S200
36313575836_0d4e171a8b.jpg

Good link to the "rules" for main drains:

How to determine if your pool drain cover is VGB Compliant - INYOPools.com

Please note this part:

"The VGB legislation mandates that all pools and spas are required to have ASME/ANSI A11. 19.8-2007 compliant drain covers with an additional anti-entrapment system when there is only one main drain other than an unblockable drain"

Here is something to think about with the channel drain:

http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top/

You can fill it with your plaster!! How sweet is that???

I KNOW you do not want to take any chances with the kids!!

I will let someone else talk about the light issue.

Kim:kim:

Tx Kim.

I looked at those links, as well as contacted my my local building department. The inspector stated that for pool remodels that have a single main drain, an anti-entrapment drain cover can be used. He did not mention the need for any further additional anti-entrapment systems to be needed. Remember, this is for a residential pool remodel, not on a public pool. For public pool, that link revealed that an additional anti-entrapment system would be needed in addition to the anti-entrapment cover.

Re: filling it with plaster. That sounds like an option too, but then it would affect water circulation. From reading here at TFP, I understand its more effective for circulation to have water drawn in the skimmer vs. the main drain, but it is my belief that some water flow at the main drain could aid with bottom debris removal. Sure, I use a Maytronics S200 that works wonders, and does a better job than any debris removal that would be offered via way of a main drain. But, won't having some water circulation down at the bottom of the pool be beneficial overall to water flow? And, to fill with plaster that seems like that would cost more that route, and would leave some water in the main drain line which connects to my skimmer. What would be the steps to fill that main drain and line with plaster? That seems that would involve plumbing which would require a different permit in this situation.

Reactions: PoolBrews
Oh I was not talking about filling in the main drain. I was saying the channel drain in the link acts are a main drain. The top of it can be filled with plaster to match your new plaster in the pool so it blends in. It would be a win-win.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.