south florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Gentleman: I have a resurfacing question, I have a 12-15 year old swimming pool in south Florida. It is approx 25 x 50 feet and currently has a diamond brite type of surface. Over the years it has discolored and my wife wants to have it re-surfaced. She has had a few vendors over. Some say remove existing coating and others say to coat over the existing coat. It does have inlaid tiles on the stairs and a very nice tile around the perimeter that I would like to keep if possible. I am not eager to loose depth unless minimal. How do I reconsile the different advice with these seperate vendors? Specifically does old diamond brite need removal or is it fine to acid wash and apply new coat on old?

You can put a second layer of plaster over a first layer. Once there are two layers you need to chipout for a third refinish.

Putting a second layer on the plaster depends on the condition of the first layer. Any areas hollow or delaminating should be removed before new plaster is put on.

A bond coat should be used on top of the existing palster if it is retained.

A second layer of plaster is more likely to have delamination problems and develop calcium nodules.

You can put a second layer of plaster over a first layer. Once there are two layers you need to chipout for a third refinish.

Putting a second layer on the plaster depends on the condition of the first layer. Any areas hollow or delaminating should be removed before new plaster is put on.

A bond coat should be used on top of the existing palster if it is retained.

A second layer of plaster is more likely to have delamination problems and develop calcium nodules.

So the pool was new construction a decade ago and I think I had only one layer so I am putting on a second layer. So am I more likely to have delamination problems and calcium nodules. How does one avoid this. Would this be issue if I tiled hole pool?

So am I more likely to have delamination problems and calcium nodules.

Do a full chipout of the old plaster.
Would this be issue if I tiled hole pool?

Have you priced out tiling? It is very expensive for a quality tile job.

Tile can have its own issues installed over delaminating plaster.

Do a full chipout of the old plaster.

Have you priced out tiling? It is very expensive for a quality tile job.

Tile can have its own issues installed over delaminating plaster.
yes I priced out tiling and its twice the cost but I was told it would last for life. I read those great tips. Thank you!!
Bill

I was told it would last for life.

Whose life?

The tile may last for life.

The grout lines will need to be maintained or water gets behind the tiles and will pop them off.

The grout is the weak link in a tiled pool.

Reactions: william13
Whose life?

The tile may last for life.

The grout lines will need to be maintained or water gets behind the tiles and will pop them off.

The grout is the weak link in a tiled pool.
Sorry for my delayed response. Lost internet since last night (Florida!!!). I did not know that tiles pop off. Makes sense.
I am now back to simple resurface with a similar product I used before "diamond brite variant". Do many people do a "full chip out of existing plaster" or is that the answer to my question how do you prevent problems with a second resurface. I would feel bad if I left old stuff in and then it bubbles or something one or two years latter
Bill

. Do many people do a "full chip out of existing plaster" or is that the answer to my question how do you prevent problems with a second resurface. I would feel bad if I left old stuff in and then it bubbles or something one or two years latter
Bill

It seems to be a regional thing.

One the West Coast full chipouts of one layer of plaster is common without even asking.

On the East Coast plasterers will try and lay on multiple layers.

Chipouts are labor intensive to do right so you find they are more common where labor is available and inexpensive. Some companies are not setup to do chipouts or don't have the manpower to do it.

It is a lot like putting multiple layers of shingles on a roof. If the first layer is in good condition you can get away with putting another layer on. Usually more then two layers is not recommended.

It seems to be a regional thing.

One the West Coast full chipouts of one layer of plaster is common without even asking.

On the East Coast plasterers will try and lay on multiple layers.

Chipouts are labor intensive to do right so you find they are more common where labor is available and inexpensive. Some companies are not setup to do chipouts or don't have the manpower to do it.

It is a lot like putting multiple layers of shingles on a roof. If the first layer is in good condition you can get away with putting another layer on. Usually more then two layers is not recommended.
Yes there is a labor shortage in Florida. But I want to do it right!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.