Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Pool pvc and new filter
I am replacing an old Jandy DE filter with a hairline crack with a new Waterway cartridge filter.

The Inlet/outlet configurations are inverted with respect to each other so moderate replumbing will be required.
  1. It would be much easier to do if I just cut out the old backwash valve complex. Are there any reasons to keep it in the loop?
  2. If I Tee off the filter outlet to the drain pipe will a simple ball valve before the site glass be adequate to control the process of draining off pool water?
3) Why shouldn't a little "bump" backwash extend the time between cleanings for a cartridge filter?

Thanks.
David - Dallas

Attachments

• Pool backwash valve.jpeg
    Pool backwash valve.jpeg
    618.1 KB · Views: 10
  • pool backwash closeup.jpeg
    pool backwash closeup.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 10
  1. If I Tee off the filter outlet to the drain pipe will a simple ball valve before the site glass be adequate to control the process of draining off pool water?

Use a diverter valve for the drain like shown here...

full

Reactions: davidwat
Use a diverter valve for the drain like shown here...

full
I would only drain water once in a blue moon with a cartridge filter. Why not a Tee with a simple, cheap, dependable inline ball valve at the drain side of the tee to prevent water going out to the alley?

Ball valves stick and handles break off. Especially an infrequently used ball valve. Then they need to be cut out and replaced.

A diverter valve can be rebuilt as needed.

Reactions: davidwat
Mine was run to a dry well per local code. The code was enacted to protect the rear yard neighbors who frequently get flooded yards, but I have nobody behind me and codes don't care about reason. Lol.

The drywall can only handle so much water so I whacked the pipe so I can drain at the pad (my lawn likes the pool water) I'm probably going to use the drywall for an outdoor shower, now that I have it.

Anywho, here's another setup.

20230504_143748.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.