Pool pump motor recommendation

Northstar motors don't usually have external capacitor. They are in the back of the motor and look this:

sn1302_3_hp_northstar_pool_pump_motor.jpeg

T is the timer
L1 is the first leg to the motor, goes to the high side or low side depending on what you want to run.
L2 is the second leg to the motor, in a 115 setup this would be "common"
S is a single throw double pole (commonly known as 3 way or SPDT) switch
H is the wire to high
L is the wire to low
M is a 2 speed motor.

The motor has 3 electrical connections - common, high and low. Common and 1 of the other 2 are energized when the pump is on. Never all 3.

When the timer is on the switch determines which final leg is energized, H or L.

Please excuse the chicken scratch.

3u2e4ate.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T is the timer
L1 is the first leg to the motor, goes to the high side or low side depending on what you want to run.
L2 is the second leg to the motor, in a 115 setup this would be "common"
S is a single throw double pole (commonly known as 3 way or SPDT) switch
H is the wire to high
L is the wire to low
M is a 2 speed motor.

The motor has 3 electrical connections - common, high and low. Common and 1 of the other 2 are energized when the pump is on. Never all 3.

When the timer is on the switch determines which final leg is energized, H or L.

Please excuse the chicken scratch.

3u2e4ate.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you appreciate it.

That was my first option but unfortunately my current Intermatic (PF1112T ) timer doesn't support 2 speed option, so checked with my local electrician he is asking $99 for installation plus equipment cost for me. My calculation on this comes close to $550 (2 speed motor + new timer with 2 clock + timer installation). I didn't include the pump installation cost on this with the hope that I can do it by myself.

Yes the store(Hydro pool) I bought Ecotech EZ has a 30 day return policy, but I need to pay return shipping plus there is a possibility of 15% restocking fee. It looks like for a Hayward North star pump I need to buy a special motor like below but again my current timer is not compatible for 2 speed

Protruding Capacitor with space on top

Thanks again for your excel sheet, very useful tool,my main motivator to get an energy efficient pump/motor.

I've installed that type of motor on a NorthStar. You can remove the capacitor temporarily while you assemble the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.