Jul 7, 2020
Dayton OH
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all!
This morning I got up and my pool pump was off. It is on a timer that runs 12 hours a day. I hit the reset button several times but it immediately shuts off again. I did notice last night that the plastic cover that I use over the motor to help keep it cooler looked a bit rough… As in a bit burnt? Photo below. We did have storms last night but no other issues with any other part of the house. Second photo is the specifications for the motor on the pump. Installed May 14, 2021 when it was difficult to get parts and this is what the pool company had at the time. Should a pool pump motor last more than two years? It has not been all that hot here in southwest Ohio this summer…

So my questions are:
Should I assume that my motor is shot and get a new one pronto? If so, do you guys have a recommendation for what I should look for? It looks like it might not be too difficult to install myself… especially with your expert guidance 😉. No new wiring or anything.

Or should I call my electrician first?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    923.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
LT,

Do you have a voltmeter??

Someone really needs to see if you have voltage coming out of your timer... Most likely do, but I would not buy a new pump without knowing for sure.

Does the pump 'hum' when the timer is on?? If so, it could be a simple starter cap failure.

Thanks,

Jim R.

So the electrical is all good and the pump is currently working. Yay! But I think it is still running hot and it is also pretty loud which has me worried. If I do indeed need a new motor what would you recommend? Thanks for the help!

Sounds like your motor has all the symptoms of a full life . How old is the pump? You just may want to consider a VS pump for energy savings.
Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com is a good resource for replacements use by lots of members here and myself.
Pump motor is a Century and only 2 years old. Got it during the pandemic when supplies were limited and not sure of its quality. Not sure how old the pump housing is… It’s a Hayward super pump. Can I get a variable speed pump motor and use it with my current equipment? Or do I need to replace the entire kit and kaboodle (housing) also? I’m not very familiar with VS pumps but they do sound like the way to go if possible…
Thanks!

Two years is not an OLD pump, the life expectancy is a lot longer than 2 years and Century is a well known manufacture (normally a 24 month Warranty) . Perhaps a warranty claim will work for you? If not then It comes down to you and what you want/or can do. If your somewhat handy the motor can be replaced or a local motor shop can rebuild it for you.
I do see a union on one plumbing line so a total pump swap out would require a little plumbing work. If you stay with a Hayward pump there's a good possibility it could be a drop in replacement.

Reactions: LouiseT
I hit the reset button several times but it immediately shuts off again
I assume you are refering to the reset button on the gfci outlet below the timer (and it looks like that light is red). I like simple so I'd start with replacing the gfci as it appears it was not replaced when the pump motor was replaced and they do "wear out" over time.
It also appears (from the few photos) that this is a 15 amp circuit which, if correct, realistally is overloaded out of the gate with the pump drawing 13+ amps.

Two years is not an OLD pump, the life expectancy is a lot longer than 2 years and Century is a well known manufacture (normally a 24 month Warranty) . Perhaps a warranty claim will work for you? If not then It comes down to you and what you want/or can do. If your somewhat handy the motor can be replaced or a local motor shop can rebuild it for you.
I do see a union on one plumbing line so a total pump swap out would require a little plumbing work. If you stay with a Hayward pump there's a good possibility it could be a drop in replacement.
Appreciate your help! I am leaning towards a single speed replacement motor for simplicity….I am somewhat handy. Question…I have the pump on a timer now…would a variable speed pump gain me much since I have the single speed on a timer anyway? I am all for energy efficiency but am not that familiar with VS pumps. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you get 240v to the pool equipment? If so, i would look at the Calimar vs pump.
with a VS pump you can run much slower, much longer. It will be quieter and move more water significantly cheaper.

Appreciate your help! I am leaning towards a single speed replacement motor for simplicity….I am somewhat handy. Question…I have the pump on a timer now…would a variable speed pump gain me much since I have the single speed on a timer anyway? I am all for energy efficiency but am not that familiar with VS pumps. Thanks!
Nidec Neptune NPTT165 variable-speed motor works on 115/230V.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.