Pool pump making odd noises with cold weather

RaceMX

May 29, 2023
Frisco TX
Hi I'm in north Texas with below freezing temps. I just checked my equipment and the main pump has some air in the basket housing (just a little) and the pump is making a gurgly whining sound. Is this normal or is my pump about fail?

(just a little)
Got a pic or a better description? 'A little' could be a tablespoon sized bubble or 20% of basket area.
and the pump is making a gurgly whining sound. Is this normal or is my pump about fail?
It could be struggling to pull water. Check that the skimmers are clear inside. While you're in there check the weir doors to ensure they are freely flapping.

Got a pic or a better description? 'A little' could be a tablespoon sized bubble or 20% of basket area.

It could be struggling to pull water. Check that the skimmers are clear inside. While you're in there check the weir doors to ensure they are freely flapping.
The bubble was about the volume of an orange. The skimmer baskets were full of leaves. I emptied the skimmers and pump basket and the whine is about 1/10 of what it was. Thank you! This site is awesome. Now my hands are blue though.

Reactions: Newdude
the whine is about 1/10 of what it was
Gaskets / seals shrink in the cold and it may just be a little noisy. The plastic shroud over the motor fan gets noisy on mine when it's cold out, sometimes its external.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.