Pool Pump Leak from loose Housing Case Bolts

MesaRider

Mar 14, 2023
Mesa, AZ
Last week I was told by my pool cleaner the Pentair Intelliflo pump was leaking and would need to be replaced with a new pump. I checked the pump later and found 5 of the 6 housing bolts were loose. I tightened them and the pump no longer leaks. The tight bolt was the hardest bolt to reach. The owner of the company came out today and said these bolts can work loose. He did say the cleaner should never have told me I needed a new pump and should have inspected the bolts. It doesn't seem right to me that only the easier to reach bolts worked loose on their own. I have had 3 pools over the years and this has never happened before. Has anyone ever had these bolts work loose before?

Last week I was told by my pool cleaner the Pentair Intelliflo pump was leaking and would need to be replaced with a new pump. I checked the pump later and found 5 of the 6 housing bolts were loose. I tightened them and the pump no longer leaks. The tight bolt was the hardest bolt to reach. The owner of the company came out today and said these bolts can work loose. He did say the cleaner should never have told me I needed a new pump and should have inspected the bolts. It doesn't seem right to me that only the easier to reach bolts worked loose on their own. I have had 3 pools over the years and this has never happened before. Has anyone ever had these bolts work loose before?
Five of six? No. On rare occasion I have seen bolts loosen, but usually only one. At worst, besides just tightening them, a new gasket could be needed. The owner was honest. The service guy not so much.

Reactions: Newdude
10 year old IntelliFlo here … runs 12-16 hours per day 365 days per year, sits outdoors all year round, rain, shine, 115F to 26F annual temperature swing …. not a single loose bolt. Ever.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
The owner was honest. The service guy not so much.
Or was the owner suddenly honest because he was more or less caught ? The pool cleaner is an entry level lackey and he'll be working in another entry level position somewhere else by the fall. I doubt he acted on his own accord to make the guy paying him little bucks, big bucks.

It smells to fishy to me.

Reactions: JamesW
Sounds sketchy to me as well.

watching you meet the parents GIF

In your opinion, is the person trustworthy or not trustworthy?
I had been very happy with their service over the last 3 years. The owner's brother was taking care of the pool. They have grown to the point where a cleaner was hired to cover our area. About 12 people in our community use them and have been very happy. I suspect it could be a quality control issue with their growth. I might need to go back to the one-man operation where the owner does all cleaning and service.

I had been very happy with their service over the last 3 years.
As much as it seems otherwise at times, there are plenty of honest people out there that either get a bad employee, or an unfair shake when freak things happen.

Pay attention going forward and reasses as necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.