pool pump failed 3 months ago how to get pool back running?

Re: pool pump failed 3 months ago how to get pool back runni

my issues is it needs to be swimable by sunday for the big game,

maybe i;ll just put 4 gallons in at once and do the 30ppm super shock and maybe that will kick it in the but

50 gallon of bleach cheaper? :shock: what would you use from the pool store?

I don't think I'd just dump 4 gallons in! Add enough to maintain schock level. You need to test often. Every hour. You need to stay on top of it. Use nothing from pool store.

Pool School, Schocking Process!!

pwrstrk said:
I don't think I'd just dump 4 gallons in! Add enough to maintain schock level. You need to test often. Every hour. You need to stay on top of it. Use nothing from pool store.

Pool School, Schocking Process!!
i wont use anyhting form the pool store,

the problem is i work I cant do anything from work......... lol guess i should have gave 2 weeks but Dang home warrenty taking forever to replace pump

Do not raise the FC above the mustard shock level as that can start to damage the pool and equipment.

It takes XX amount of chlorine to kill everything. But if you put in too much at once, you can damage things. If you used anything besides liquid chlorine, you would be adding either CH or CYA in addition to the FC. When those get too high, you then have to replace water to lower them ... adding to the expense. There are calculations done on this site that prove that bleach is typically the cheapest $/ppm.

The cheapest method to to have a clear pool is to never let it go green ;)

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

tested this morning,

fc 1.5
CC 5

add one gallon of bleach per the poolcalc to get about 12 fc

one this is odd to me, i dont get ANY CYA but this pool has used the tabs fo 20 years shouldn't i have at least some CYA in the water?

turbo v6 camaro said:
tested this morning,

fc 1.5
CC 5

one this is odd to me, i dont get ANY CYA but this pool has used the tabs fo 20 years shouldn't i have at least some CYA in the water?

That depends. If the FC was allowed to fall to zero (which I think you said it was) then bacteria can take hold that converts CYA into ammonia - which also happens to read as very high CC's and takes a lot of Chlorine to get rid of.

UnderWaterVanya said:
turbo v6 camaro said:
tested this morning,

fc 1.5
CC 5

That depends. If the FC was allowed to fall to zero (which I think you said it was) then bacteria can take hold that converts CYA into ammonia - which also happens to read as very high CC's and takes a lot of Chlorine to get rid of.
okay that makes sense then the ammonia would go to nitrite then to nitrate, witch is plant food and explans why people get algea when they open a pool after sitting all winter

turbo v6 camaro said:
ahh

FC = 0 or .5
CC = 2.5

something eated all my clorine in 1.5 hours lol

add bleach to hit 12 again

Yup. This is why shocking is a process not an event. Sometimes you can go many hours without adding bleach and barely drop to the minimum shock level - other times you put it in and it is gone before you realize it! This seems consistent with ammonia threads I have read - the CC's are falling slowly and the FC is still being gobbled up quick.

Keep the faith! Is the water looking any better?

UnderWaterVanya said:
turbo v6 camaro said:
ahh

FC = 0 or .5
CC = 2.5

something eated all my clorine in 1.5 hours lol

add bleach to hit 12 again

Yup. This is why shocking is a process not an event. Sometimes you can go many hours without adding bleach and barely drop to the minimum shock level - other times you put it in and it is gone before you realize it! This seems consistent with ammonia threads I have read - the CC's are falling slowly and the FC is still being gobbled up quick.

Keep the faith! Is the water looking any better?
yeah i wasnt bad to start (not green or anything)

but its getting there i can almost see the bottom on the deep end

on the bleache what % do i use ?

walmart size jug ? its 121oz and 7.86% available chlorine and 8.25% sodium hypochlorite

do i use the 7 or the 8 ? i have been using the 7.86

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You should use the 8.25% in the calculator. In reality it may be higher or it may be lower and you may not have the volume of the pool correct ... it is not an exact science.

okay so i tested agian and got

1.5 fc
2.5 cc
added need bleach

just tested again and got
4fc
2cc

so it seems it coming in balance at least getting there

the problem i have is there is alot of junk in the water, I can see it in there. I have a sand filter the pool guy that just replace my noisy pump (under the home warrenty) said to to a stuff called "FLOCK" run on recirculate and follow diections, he said this will let all the suff to the bottom and i can vacum it out on waste to get rid of it.

thoughts?

We do not generally recommend flock / clarifier ... often they can make problems worse. Is the junk floating in the water or sitting on the bottom? You should remove anything you can scoop out. If it settles to the bottom, you could vacuum to waste.

Just keep adding FC as required and get as much stuff out as you can. One option is adding a little DE to your filter to help grab the smaller particles ... I think this is discussed in Pool School somewhere.

jblizzle said:
We do not generally recommend flock / clarifier ... often they can make problems worse. Is the junk floating in the water or sitting on the bottom? You should remove anything you can scoop out. If it settles to the bottom, you could vacuum to waste.

Just keep adding FC as required and get as much stuff out as you can. One option is adding a little DE to your filter to help grab the smaller particles ... I think this is discussed in Pool School somewhere.
its floating in the water, i have vaccum what i could off the bottom once every day or two

ill keep adding FC i have to stop at walmart tomorrow for more i used 6 gallons today lol

he also said there is a different substrata i can put in the sand filter that will filter better, any experience with that?

Several sand substitutes are available...not sure how they work. Sand is sufficient, but can become channeled which impacts the effectiveness and requires a cleaning perhaps 1/year.

Can you get a picture of what is floating?

Sent via Tapatalk...

UnderWaterVanya said:
Several sand substitutes are available...not sure how they work. Sand is sufficient, but can become channeled which impacts the effectiveness and requires a cleaning perhaps 1/year.

Can you get a picture of what is floating?

Sent via Tapatalk...
its mostly white and off white particals floting

okay since i had to work i loaded up the tab and put it on 7 (i know bad lol i need SOME CYA anyway right)

when i got home i had

fc= 3.5
cc = 1

I added bleach to get to shock level again

the pool more clear now i can see to the bottom but its still a little milky

i'm goign to test before bed and test again i put the tab thing down to 2 again

PS: can i just add bleach to the tab thing once i run out of tabs?

turbo v6 camaro said:

NO. For 1, it would not slowly add it ... not designed for it. For 2, mixing different types of chlorine can result in explosions!!!

There is no problem using the tablets at this point. Poolcalculator will tell you how much CYA each one adds. Just keep track of the number of tablets you use.

jblizzle said:
turbo v6 camaro said:

NO. For 1, it would not slowly add it ... not designed for it. For 2, mixing different types of chlorine can result in explosions!!!

There is no problem using the tablets at this point. Pool calculator will tell you how much CYA each one adds. Just keep track of the number of tablets you use.

oh sweet fire works !!!!!! :whoot: :whoot: :whoot:

THats why i ask first lol

also i could not get the pool calc to tell me per tab, the whole 25 pound thin said 144 CYA

If you know the weight of each tab (many are 7-8 oz), just put that in at the bottom (Effects of Adding Chemicals) with Trichlor selected.

I am not 100% the reaction between bleach and trichlor .... but di/tri-chlor and cal-hypo is NOT GOOD. There is a video on here somewhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.