Maine, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hello all, been a while since I last posted...

I would like to know if anyone has an automated solution to shutoff a pool pump if a low/no water pressure situation arises (without paying for a commercial type system like Aquarite or Hayward!).

Background:
A few years ago, we were travelling and I've always been able to control my pool pump remotely with various means. Long story short, a pvc joint came loose on my roof (solar panels) and started pumping water out profusely and my neighbor, thank goodness, noticed the problem and ran over to shut off my pump and needless to say, saved us several hundred, if not thousands of, dollars in damage. - I'm sure you can imagine if the pool drained and cavitated the pump, etc!

Anyway, what I would like to do is have some sort of pressure sensing ability that can either alert me, or better yet, set off an automated pump-shutoff when a low or no water pressure occurs with the system . I'm proficient in Alexa, Home Assistant, Homekit, etc.., and was just wondering if anyone has a quasi-fail-safe solution setup for being away from their pool for extended periods. I have the Aquarite salt system and Hayward heater and pump, so just running the pump is sufficient for maintaining the pool for a few weeks.

My thought process is a simple inline pressure switch that indicates whether the contacts are open or closed, but I can't wrap my head around how to implement it or monitor it remotely. Just simply looking for different ideas on how to achieve this.

Thank you, everyone.

Hello all, been a while since I last posted...

I would like to know if anyone has an automated solution to shutoff a pool pump if a low/no water pressure situation arises (without paying for a commercial type system like Aquarite or Hayward!).

Background:
A few years ago, we were travelling and I've always been able to control my pool pump remotely with various means. Long story short, a pvc joint came loose on my roof (solar panels) and started pumping water out profusely and my neighbor, thank goodness, noticed the problem and ran over to shut off my pump and needless to say, saved us several hundred, if not thousands of, dollars in damage. - I'm sure you can imagine if the pool drained and cavitated the pump, etc!

Anyway, what I would like to do is have some sort of pressure sensing ability that can either alert me, or better yet, set off an automated pump-shutoff when a low or no water pressure occurs with the system . I'm proficient in Alexa, Home Assistant, Homekit, etc.., and was just wondering if anyone has a quasi-fail-safe solution setup for being away from their pool for extended periods. I have the Aquarite salt system and Hayward heater and pump, so just running the pump is sufficient for maintaining the pool for a few weeks.

My thought process is a simple inline pressure switch that indicates whether the contacts are open or closed, but I can't wrap my head around how to implement it or monitor it remotely. Just simply looking for different ideas on how to achieve this.

Thank you, everyone.
Since there is no pressure in a system that is not running, the alarm would be continuous or the auto shut off would remain off. Residential pool automation does not have the capability to do what you want.

You could, likely, adapt the Kona Labs Level Smart to do what you want in the very unlikely event of what happened happening again.
It has a float system that sits in the skimmer and sends a signal to a receiver that will then apply 24V to a water valve and re-fill the pool. It doesn't react quickly, so normal pool use wouldn't cause the system to power on and off. It could be wired to a normally-closed 24V coil contactor to kill power to the pump if the water level were to drop too far. Have installed 3 (they're not inexpensive) to customers who are gone long periods of time so as to keep their pool level up. Might work for your purpose as well. Not direct connection to the pool, wireless communication, change the transmitter battery each year to be sure.

Reactions: muvipix
Since there is no pressure in a system that is not running, the alarm would be continuous or the auto shut off would remain off. Residential pool automation does not have the capability to do what you want.

You could, likely, adapt the Kona Labs Level Smart to do what you want in the very unlikely event of what happened happening again.
It has a float system that sits in the skimmer and sends a signal to a receiver that will then apply 24V to a water valve and re-fill the pool. It doesn't react quickly, so normal pool use wouldn't cause the system to power on and off. It could be wired to a normally-closed 24V coil contactor to kill power to the pump if the water level were to drop too far. Have installed 3 (they're not inexpensive) to customers who are gone long periods of time so as to keep their pool level up. Might work for your purpose as well. Not direct connection to the pool, wireless communication, change the transmitter battery each year to be sure.

Thank you for the recommendation and link. I'll look into it.
I could create an automation for this (ie, if the pump is not powered at all - disregard the no pressure signal).

In a major leak situation, I wouldn't want to continuously add water back to the pool, but I do get what you're saying.

I'm confident that I will come up with something. A receiver of some sort with maybe a relay might be the way to go; break the ground to the relay, shut the pump down... so, thanks for the idea.

Thank you for the recommendation and link. I'll look into it.

I could create an automation for this (ie, if the pump is not powered at all - disregard the no pressure signal).

In a major leak situation, I wouldn't want to continuously add water back to the pool, but I do get what you're saying.

I'm confident that I will come up with something. A receiver of some sort with maybe a relay might be the way to go; break the ground to the relay, shut the pump down... so, thanks for the idea.
Would substitute a 24VAC NC relay for the 24VAC sprinkler valve. Signal would kill power to the pump, relay would open on being powered.
Something like this:

Couldn't you use a standard flow switch for a SWG to sense flow/no flow? I'm sure you could utilize a relay/contactor to switch off the pump when low flow is detected.
I've done that to have an interlock for a Stenner pump on a commercial property. Problem is the pump would not come on after turning off because of no flow. Need something to turn the power off with pump running.

I thought about that after posting. It's something that would need to be enabled through automation after the pump starts. Kinda an IFTTT function. It makes my head hurt to think too much, so I'll just plant the seed.

A PLC has the capabilities to do what you want. You could write the logic to allow the pump to start, then after a few second delay, you could arm a pump shut down on loss of pressure or flow.

We used PLCs in the power plants all the time, if you get good at writing logic, you can make it very smart. It would have the capability to automate almost everything at or around the pool.

I've thought about building a PLC pool controller, but for my setup it's too expensive for my needs.

Wow, thanks for all of these suggestions; exactly what I was looking for! And yes, the "automation" part will be handled by Home Assistant - pretty powerful monitor/logic controls. I currently have >100 devices in my house with monitors/sensors everywhere. The fail-safe-pool is one of my last projects before our intermittent travelling begins.

The PLC, relay, flow switch.. all great, thought provoking ideas, thanks!

One final hurdle ...

Does anyone know, or can discern, if the flow switch has some sort of low voltage? I'm going to get an additional flow switch (it would also be a spare) and provide power via a USB controlled relay bank. Or does the SWG controller just sense continuity of the switch? I'm sure I could test it with a multi-meter, but I'm currently not at home. My thought is to have it control a low-voltage relay (5 vdc) for the pool pump shut-off automation. If switch opens (ground), then fire the automation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One final hurdle ...

Does anyone know, or can discern, if the flow switch has some sort of low voltage? I'm going to get an additional flow switch (it would also be a spare) and provide power via a USB controlled relay bank. Or does the SWG controller just sense continuity of the switch? I'm sure I could test it with a multi-meter, but I'm currently not at home. My thought is to have it control a low-voltage relay (5 vdc) for the pool pump shut-off automation. If switch opens (ground), then fire the automation.
Flow switch is open/close, that's it.

I just finished testing the original 2-wire flow switch out of the CircuPool RJ45. As posted above, it's either open or closed. With water flow simulated, the circuit is closed. There is a new flow switch available for the RJ45 that includes the temp and salt sensors. Just search for a simple two wire flow switch and you should be good.

20230827_094951.jpg

Thank you for your responses! Just got home and saw the attached near the flow switch:
IMG_3520.jpeg
So I think I should be good w/5v. Waiting on parts and I’ll post results if anyone’s interested.

Thanks again, all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.