NorthernSwimmer

Sep 3, 2022
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are new pool owners and an AquaSmarte system came with our package. After reading all the info here on TFP we now use liquid chlorine instead of the AquaSmarte so we don’t end up with a CYA issue. If I use the AquaSmarte while on vacation for 7 days, should I also super chlorinate before we leave or get a floater with extra tabs to be sure my FC levels don’t get too low while we’re gone? We run our pump on low speed 24x7 and we plan to leave it on, but will turn our heater off that week. I do plan to have someone come check my skimmer basket and water levels every other day, but they aren’t pool people, so aren’t familiar with testing and adjusting chemicals. Also, am I missing any other steps I should take to prepare? I appreciate any advice!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The key to vacation prep is having an accurate CYA test result. Once you have that, then you know you can go to the FC/CYA Levels to find to corresponding FC (ideal range) level and the elevated FC (SLAM) level. Many owners will increase the FC to the SLAM level just before leaving. That should buy you a few days. A floater with a couple tabs is fine as long as your CYA isn't too high.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.