Pool plumbing question

The last pic you posted of the skimmer with both lines open is the problem. It's pulling the water in to fast and creating a vortex that is introducing air.

I'm to lazy to research it but it looks like your pump is a 2hp Pentair Whisperflo? If so then you may be oversized for only the one line. If it's 2hp single speed then you may need to start saving for a smaller pump or at least a variable speed one.

They may make a vortex eliminator that you can put into your skimmer under the basket????

Hi Daltex,

Thanks for your reply. Let's back it up.

System is fine with the right line opened (no air in the pump) but the left line goes and automatically the pump fills with air, not enough that the system stalls but there is air in the pump.

If we had the vortex issue should it not occur with either line opened? I am using a Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP.

Will post pics on new reply

Hi Daltex,

Thanks for your reply. Let's back it up.

System is fine with the right line opened (no air in the pump) but the left line goes and automatically the pump fills with air, not enough that the system stalls but there is air in the pump.

If we had the vortex issue should it not occur with either line opened? I am using a Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP.

Will post pics on new reply

- - - Updated - - -

2014_08_25_18_18_20.jpg

3" of water

2014_08_25_18_42_23.jpg

So, of the pictures you just posted of the skimmer, they are which situation?

2 valves open?
....or....
1 valve open? if so, which one valve? the one that introduces air or the one that does not.

Good valve
2014_08_26_18_42_55.jpg

Valve that introduces
2014_08_26_18_43_38.jpg

Both Valves
2014_08_26_18_44_20.jpg

I have discovered that if I use the bad valve (valve is ok - we're taking the line), the system eventually runs out of pressure. I have not been home to witness how the system runs out but I have come back to see the pump chugging away with little water in the system.

- - - Updated - - -

gtemkin - I think I got major issues with the bad line. Luckily I have the second line but I would like to rectify the issue!

Try running a bead of o-ring lube around where the fittings and the flex PVC meet. I had a suction side air leak I could not find till I did that. It was on the only piece of flex I had in my system. I replaced that piece and all my air in the pump problems vanished.

Flex pipe is the devil

I agree with Thimble's recomendations. I was thinking that it was when both valves were open at the same time that the air was introduced and when either one on it's own was open that the air was eliminated. It seems to reason that there is leak in the left line from what you posted.

I agree with Thimble's recomendations. I was thinking that it was when both valves were open at the same time that the air was introduced and when either one on it's own was open that the air was eliminated. It seems to reason that there is leak in the left line from what you posted.

Hi Guys,

I applied lots lube, tightened the valve joints nicely and air is still being introduced through one line only.

I'm at a loss where to go next!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.