Pool Plumbing Design Review

Apr 18, 2010
This is my design for re-plumbing that I need to do. I am looking for comments on any mistakes I’ve made, suggestions for improvement or validation that this is a viable design.

Pool Plumbing-Temp0004.jpeg

Since I have an in-floor cleaning system, I need to replumb to add a bypass loop for my Pentair IC40 SCG. This is stated in the IC40 installation manual and, because of the in-floor cleaning system, Pentair support let me know that this bypass loop would be absolutely required for any warranty claims I might have in the future.

The current layout has the filter side-by-side with the pump with the outflow pipe connected to the IC40 which in turn is connect to the Jandy. All in a straight line.

Design Notes
  • For the bypass loop design itself, I going with the suggestion from Bama Rambler in this thread: Where Can I Get This Flow Control Valve
  • The SCG bypass loop was set on a 45-degree angle since the is not enough room to go straight back from the return Jandy valve.
  • There is a 12-inch straight pipe immediately before the IC40 to allow for proper flow sensing.
  • There is a 4-inch pipe after the IC40 before the elbow.
  • I might need to support the pipe between the 45s. I calculate that there would be 12 lbs of water plus 8 lbs for the IC40 means over 20 lbs. The 45-degree layout for the bypass loop section means that there is no point-to-point beam bridge type support which may apply too much stress to the filter fitting and to the Jandy.
  • I might need to support the pipes on the pressure side between the pump and the filter.
  • There are a T and spigot located directly above the pump on the pressure side. These are not represented in the picture.
  • I will need to replace the existing crumbling concrete pad. In this layout, I might go with two separate pads.

Put the union before the filter on the straight section of the pipe going into the filter.

EDIT: Can't tell if your filter already has unions built in. If it does, then no real need for that second union going from the pump to the filter.

Last edited:
Whether now or in the future, use pump unions. They are made specifically for that use. They have an oring in the sealing face against the pump body.

Great suggestion! From your post I just realized, after 11 years now, that the inflow and outflow are actually threaded on my WhisperFlo. Do you have a link to a pump union handy? I did a qucik search and did not find anything obvious.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair support let me know that this bypass loop would be absolutely required for any warranty claims I might have in the future. The filter is that far away to accommodate the bypass. No room for it going straight back to the wall.

The reason is that I have an in-floor cleaning system. The IC40 Installation and User's Guide states:

For flow rates over 80 gpm you must use a bypass loop (as shown below) for best chlorine production. Installations with flow rates over 80 gpm include those that have in-floor cleaning systems or booster pumps. These systems MUST use a bypass loop with the IntelliChlor SCG with a flow control valve that assures that the flow through the IntelliChlor SCG is maintained within its designed operating water flow rates.

I contacted Pentair Support to understand the warranty implications. The told me that upon a warranty claim, the would dispatch a local service technician to inspect the installation and the unit itself. They were very clear in letting me know that in my situation, if the bypass loop was not installed, the warranty would be void.

On another note - before I called I was pessimistic for another reason - I thought that they would not honor the warranty if I install the unit myself. There is a lot of discussion out there indicating that a "qualified installer" needs to do the installation or no warranty. I even saw Pentair documentation to that effect. I took that to mean proof via a receipt showing that you paid somebody who was "qualified" to do the installation.

I was surprised when Pentair Support told me that they would honor the warranty for a DIY installation if I registered the product with Pentair and it then was inspected by a Pentair-dispatched local service technician upon a warranty claim.

Sounds good. I made the fact you had an in floor cleaning system a bit easier to see in your signature.

I doubt that pump puts out more than 80 gpm. Good luck.

This is my design for re-plumbing that I need to do. I am looking for comments on any mistakes I’ve made, suggestions for improvement or validation that this is a viable design.

View attachment 116668

Since I have an in-floor cleaning system, I need to replumb to add a bypass loop for my Pentair IC40 SCG. This is stated in the IC40 installation manual and, because of the in-floor cleaning system, Pentair support let me know that this bypass loop would be absolutely required for any warranty claims I might have in the future.

The current layout has the filter side-by-side with the pump with the outflow pipe connected to the IC40 which in turn is connect to the Jandy. All in a straight line.

Design Notes
  • For the bypass loop design itself, I going with the suggestion from Bama Rambler in this thread: Where Can I Get This Flow Control Valve
  • The SCG bypass loop was set on a 45-degree angle since the is not enough room to go straight back from the return Jandy valve.
  • There is a 12-inch straight pipe immediately before the IC40 to allow for proper flow sensing.
  • There is a 4-inch pipe after the IC40 before the elbow.
  • I might need to support the pipe between the 45s. I calculate that there would be 12 lbs of water plus 8 lbs for the IC40 means over 20 lbs. The 45-degree layout for the bypass loop section means that there is no point-to-point beam bridge type support which may apply too much stress to the filter fitting and to the Jandy.
  • I might need to support the pipes on the pressure side between the pump and the filter.
  • There are a T and spigot located directly above the pump on the pressure side. These are not represented in the picture.
  • I will need to replace the existing crumbling concrete pad. In this layout, I might go with two separate pads.
I love this design. What program did you use to create the picture and the rendering?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.