Pool place gave up?>?????

I got the same type of reaction from the local pool store when I told them about TFP. The response was something like this: "OMG! You're chlorinating with BLEACH?! That's unstable [I think she meant "not stabilized," i.e., no CYA added] chlorine! Your Total Alkalinity is going to plummet, your pH will skyrocket, you will destroy your plaster, then your pool water will catch fire!"

Okay, so she didn't actually say the last part... But that was the gist. Just for kicks, I took in a sample for them to test one Saturday morning, after I'd tested a sample drawn at the same time with my TF-100. Their numbers were completely off from mine. They asked if the water was cloudy, because according to their super-specialized, uber-expensive computer, I needed something like 10 lbs. of shock. I shared my test numbers with them and they said, if my numbers were correct, my water was perfect. But they doubted my numbers, because they paid so much for that strip-test machine they're married to it.

For some inspiration...

The day my pool was opened last spring:
977D7D95-9AC3-4C0D-979E-5958480A5206_zpsvlwuj2lx.jpg

The next day, after adding too much algaecide (I didn't think they'd added any when the opened it, so I added a quart. Turned out they'd already added a quart upon opening... Oops!)
F19FDFCF-F2FD-4932-BE82-CD859F79A670_zpsrdzghms2.jpg

Then I discovered TFP. This pic was midway through my SLAM (ignore my finger...):
CF8E1961-6B35-40DE-A38D-4DE8351AFA47_zps5p4kck6h.jpg

About a month after my SLAM (it didn't take a month to get it looking like this, it just took me that long to think about taking a picture...):
F6F5154D-62A2-4EE3-A62F-84A776CE7F8E_zpsxctzkewh.jpg

Same day as the last pic. Toward the bottom of the picture, in the center, you can see my main drain. About 8 feet deep. I tried the "quarter test" that day and passed.
69567B96-ECD6-41DA-8D97-5F7FDCFD6A42_zpsspxbrzxh.jpg

WOW - Almost as good as Bruce/Katlin transformation.. HAHA..

Question did you have algae/ particles stuck to your walls near tile? I have tried brushing it and it won't come off. I will post pictures when I get off of work.

Thank you for the inspiration - Great looking pool and house!

Thanks! It certainly wasn't as bad as some I've seen around here, but it sure did take a while to get it back in shape. I lost count after 100 bleach jugs...

I didn't have anything growing on the walls, but you can see in the first pic (and very lightly in the third pic) that I had a line of algae in the floor of the pool.

The trick with getting rid of algae on the wall/floor of the pool is to vacuum and brush at least daily during your SLAM. Vacuuming cleans up the dead algae that collects on the bottom. Brushing helps the chlorine get to the actual algae by breaking through the protective "skin" some types of algae have. Once the chlorine kills the algae, it will generally just settle to the bottom of the pool. It should at least brush off relatively easily, again, once it's dead.

For me, it was easier to vacuum first, as brushing will stir up everything on the bottom, and it won't settle for hours.

Good deal! Did you measure your pH? We need to make sure it's between 7.2 and 7.5 for a more effective SLAM. We need to adjust your pH before we get started SLAMing, because you won't get accurate pH results when your FC is more than 10 ppm or so.

We also need to start getting some CYA in there. Without it, the UV from the sunlight will burn up some of your FC before it has a chance to get any real work done.

Have you familiarized yourself with PoolMath? If not, click the link in my signature. Input your pool capacity in the upper left-hand corner. Scroll down to CYA (yellow row) and put 0 in the left box (this is your current number), and let's start with, say, 30 or 40 ppm as your Goal. Put that in the right box. PoolMath will tell you how much CYA to add. Pour about 80% of that amount into an old sock, tie it off, and hang it in front of a return. Don't worry about testing for CYA for the next week or so, as it takes 7-10 days for it all to show up on the test.

Once you've put your CYA in the sock and hung it out there, it's time to start chlorinating. Check the Chlorine/CYA Chart (again, in my signature) to see what your Minimum FC, Target FC, and Shock FC are. Use the row for the ppm of CYA you put in PoolMath as your Goal. Just assume for the sake of the SLAM that your CYA is already there, even though it's still dissolving. For example, if you are shooting for about 40 ppm CYA, your Minimum FC is 3 ppm, Target FC is 5 ppm, and Shock FC (this is the only one we're really concerned with during a SLAM) is 16 ppm.

Now, go back to PoolMath and enter your current FC in the first column and 16 as your Goal. PoolMath will tell you how much chlorine to add. Be sure to enter the concentration of your bleach/chlorine. It's also helpful to choose the jug size.

What follows is from my personal experience and in no way should be construed as the official (or even necessarily recommended) position of TFP...

After 2 weeks of little progress with my SLAM, I realized I wasn't doing the most important part of a SLAM -- Maintaining the FC at or above shock level. Working during the day (when the sun is working against you) really hurt me here. I started by entering my numbers in PoolMath, then rounding up to the next jug, and adding that much to my pool. For example, if PoolMath called for 2.6 jugs of bleach, I added 3. That helped, but my FC was still below even the Minimum FC level by the time I got home from work. So I started rounding up and adding an additional jug "for good measure."

Keep in mind, my pool has about twice the capacity of yours, so an extra gallon in my pool would be like adding an extra half-gallon to yours.

Just to be clear... I use bold/italics/underlining for emphasis, not yelling. ;)

No more than 30ppm CYA should be added for the SLAM or else you will force yourself to use more bleach. 30ppm CYA is enough to protect your FC from UV degradation but low enough to make doing the SLAM less costly.

THIS CANT BE EMPHASIZED ENOUGH - Follow the SLAM process EXACTLY AS IT IS WRITTEN AND DO NOT DEVIATE.

Sorry for the ALL CAPS but time and time again we get new members with a green pool who want to see fast results and they act impatiently and do not follow the procedure as outlined. Then they wonder why it takes longer or doesn't work as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Just to confirm the CYA test you did add a 50/50 mix of the CYA reagent R-0013 with pool water, shake, wait 30+ seconds shake again then pour into the view tube? I ask only because I am somewhat surprised that your CYA would be 0 and that the only way to remove it is water replacement. This test is also best viewed in full sunlight with the sun to your back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as algae on your tiles, grout or pool finish, do not fret. It will come off even after your SLAM is complete with daily brushing and elevated FC levels. Do not worry to much about that right now but, you will want to brush your pool daily. Need anything, just hollar. We're here 24/7.

OK sorry for delay family night.

PH = 7.8

Pool condition: After vacuuming to waste the pool looks great I think.
Here are some pictures. Do I even need to SLAM at this point?

After vacuuming to waste the DE filter pressure has now stabilized and is maintaining 19-21 psi.

Thank you guys/gals for the laughs and help!

Yes, you should still SLAM. Clear water is not a sign of clean water. Your pool water might look clear but you have no idea what your plumbing looks like. Algae can form patches, hide and survive and once your FC level drops, if there is sufficient algae, the cloudiness (a nascent algae bloom) will reoccur.

Please perform a SLAM as outlined in our Pool School section. I am more than confident that when you SLAM, you will see a significant FC loss (chlorine demand) for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I have definitely had algae and clear water.
I have also had algae in clear water. The only reason to stop a SLAM is when you pass all three tests:

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • The water is clear.

Only when all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels. The one that confuses people is the "clear water". If there is any visible algae (dead or alive) on any surface then the water does not pass the "clear" test. I'm sorry to say, this is where most people fail. The water looks good, possibly better then they ever remember and stop early.

Agreed with everyone above.

If you still have algae on the walls/tile/etc., you need to SLAM.

I am not sure what is on the walls. Its like a brown color. I am using a well which has high iron. Could this be it?

I have tried brushing after the pool store sold me 25 lbs of shock. It still would not come off.

Can someone hold my hand and walk me through the SLAM process please. I will learn quick by someone telling me. I am confused by the pool math calculator. Sorry for being so dense.

Any help with my first SLAM would be awesome.

P.S to increase CYA should I just use chlorine tablets in a sock in front of return? OR is there actually a chemical I need to purchase. Where can I get it without going back to the pool store who almost made me take out two mortgages?

Thank you all!

Thank you,

I am not sure what is on the walls. Its like a brown color. I am using a well which has high iron. Could this be it?

I have tried brushing after the pool store sold me 25 lbs of shock. It still would not come off.

Wait until after the SLAM. If it is still there you can address it. If it's algae the SLAM will take care of it.

Can someone hold my hand and walk me through the SLAM process please. I will learn quick by someone telling me. I am confused by the pool math calculator. Sorry for being so dense.

Any help with my first SLAM would be awesome.
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Short version. Raise FC to SLAM Level. Keep it there until you pass all 3 tests Your FC Level in this chart-> Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
P.S to increase CYA should I just use chlorine tablets in a sock in front of return? OR is there actually a chemical I need to purchase. Where can I get it without going back to the pool store who almost made me take out two mortgages?
They sell it at Walmart. Put in enough to get to 20. It won't show up for a week, just assume it's there. After a week you can adjust. With lower CYA; SLAM is easier. Use a sock tied to a broom stick or something right in front of a return. Or some people put the sock in their skimmer basket.
Thank you all!

Thank you,
No problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.